Go Down

JVC RS1000/ NX5 INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
JVC RS1000/ NX5 INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
« on: May 20, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »
JVC RS1000/ NX5  INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

Folks that are new to these projectors frequently ask for some settings to get started out of the box. Here are some I've gathered from various sources. Feel free to add some suggestions / additions.

JVC RS1000/ NX5

INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS:

PICTURE MODE and COLOR PROFILE:

SDR:

PICTURE MODE: NATURAL (if out-of-the-box) or USER1 (if calibrating)

HDR:

PICTURE MODE: HDR10 --> COLOR PROFILE: HDR

NOTE: HDR10 PICTURE MODE will be switched to automatically by the projector in response to an HDR video signal

Dylan’s notes -
With SDR content, choosing either Natural or one of the custom User modes, while opting for the REC709, D65, and 2.2 gamma preset options, offers respectable out-of-the-box performance. Deficiencies in accuracy remained under five dE in Natural mode.
Dynamic Tone Mapping
In the menu...
Input Signal>HDR Setting>HDR10 Auto Select. Make sure this is on Frame Adapt.

FW version 3.10 Frame Adapt Menus
There are 4 HDR Level modes that are selectable when the customer is in the new Frame Adapt Picture Mode

Auto (Default)
Will select between the 3 other modes depending on the brightest spot JVC measures in the frame or scene.  Note that reference to Max CLL/Max FALL is removed.  This feature is based on the brightness that JVC measures dynamically.  As a result, it works even if the metadata is missing or wrong.
Low - Typically for images above 2000 nits.
Medium - Typically for images 500-2000 nits.
High - Typically for images below 500 nits.
*Note-High mode will give you the brightest image but you will lose detail in high peak frames.

Frame Adapt Menus

HDR Processing
Static - To be used when the source output is set to a fixed nit level.
Example -  Panasonic UB9000 HDR Optimizer
Frame by Frame
Will analyze and provide the proper dynamic tone mapping per frame.
Scene by Scene (Default)
Will analyze and provide the proper dynamic tone mapping per scene.
So, to do a proper comparison you should have the HDR Optimizer off and use the same (non-AUTO) setting for both. I suspect that you would not see any obvious differences.

Kris Deering adds - I would NOT use Auto. In my testing it would not give as good of a result. Now the choice to use Low, Med, High probably comes down to your screen size, light output and what you are watching. In MY setup, I found HIGH gave the best image in most cases, but Med was better with REALLY high level content (like The Meg). But my screen is on the larger side so my peak white is in the mid-20's. Those with really bright setups may find med or low to be better.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:55:32 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: JVC RS1000/ NX5 INITIAL SETUP & RECOMMENDED SETTINGS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Panasonic UB9000 - turn off everything in the Panasonic. Send the pure original signal to the JVC. No HDR Enhancer. No picture adjust. Nothing. Use Frame Adapt.

DCR LENS -
You should not use the zoom mode if using a DCR. That should be set to AUTO. The Anamorphic C/D modes will set the zoom appropriately.

Apple TV
Under “Audio Video” go to “match content” and turn ON “match frame rate” and “match dynamic range”.
I keep my Apple TV defaulted to 4K SDR as I still watch more SDR shows than I do HDR. But all that really does is keep my “Apple TV GUI” in SDR. Then it automatically adjusts the output to HDR or SDR based on the content and adjust the frame rate to match.
Using the YouTube app on Apple TV isn’t a way to check 4K or HDR as it supports neither.
iTunes / Netflix / Amazon Prime / Vudu all support 4K HDR and would be much better for testing.
Samsara on iTunes in 4K HDR is stunning

More Apple TV notes –

Don’t “Enable” HDR (you will still get it when we are done)
For “Format, Choose “4K SDR”
For “HDMI Output” you will choose “YCbCr”
Now you can choose 4:4:4 in your “Chroma” setting.  If your Apple TV asks to test your cables, allow that.  It only takes a couple of minutes.  4:4:4 should definitely work, unless there is a cable issue.
Very Important…  For “Match Content”, turn on Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.  This is where you will get the HDR.  From the Match Dynamic Range.

A few other notes:

To my knowledge, none of the You Tube content is actually 4K HDR through Apple TV.  It will play in SDR, which is ok.  You Tube is planning an update to HDR at some point soon for Apple TV.
For “Frame Adapt HDR”, make sure you are using high lamp and make sure your aperture is all the way open.
For best results when watching an HDR program choose “Frame by Frame”.  My experience is this will make the content a little brighter.
A couple of movies to try that I know will give you impressive results and are a good way to judge if your basic settings are ok:  “Six Underground” on Netflix & “Ford V. Ferrari” on iTunes.  There are many, many more.  Do note that some titles, such as “Ozark” on Netflix are intentionally dark.  That is a decision the producer makes to invoke a certain feeling.
Depending on your screen/your room you may want to change HDR Level from Auto to High.  Be careful.  You don’t want it too bright.  For most content, most rooms, Auto is fine.  Advanced users sometimes change this.
When watching SDR content like You Tube, be sure you are using an SDR picture mode such as “Natural” or “Cinema”.  You will need to choose that the first time after you make these changes.  After that the projector will remember the setting and go back to it automatically.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:50:11 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 05:18:09 PM »
Any updates to this thread's original post to account for the latest JCV v3.50 firmware (I hope on updating from v3.10 to v3.50 later this weekend)?

Also, I assume that, when using the JVC v3.50 firmware, that the recommendation for the Panasonic UB9000 and Panasonic DP-UB820 (which I have) is similar as before, which is to not use the Panasonic's HDR enhancer?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 05:34:24 PM »
Any updates to this thread's original post to account for the latest JCV v3.50 firmware (I hope on updating from v3.10 to v3.50 later this weekend)?

Also, I assume that, when using the JVC v3.50 firmware, that the recommendation for the Panasonic UB9000 and Panasonic DP-UB820 (which I have) is similar as before, which is to not use the Panasonic's HDR enhancer?
Nothing new really. Yes, you don't need the HDR enhancer. 

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 02:32:00 AM »
When I was using the 5xxx series I had loaded color profiles bt2020 from the JVC site. Since the RS1000 does not have this last color profile, could I use the same one?

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 11:25:23 AM »
When I was using the 5xxx series I had loaded color profiles bt2020 from the JVC site. Since the RS1000 does not have this last color profile, could I use the same one?
No. The RS1000 does not have the DCI P3 color filter. You select wide for color space and that will exceed Rec709.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal