D-Day Normandy 1944 (UHD Blu-ray) review

D-Day Normandy 1944 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »

Studio: Shout Factory 
Release Date: May 5, 2020
Rating: G
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
June 6, 1944: The largest Allied operation of World War II began in Normandy, France. Yet few know in detail exactly why and how, from the end of 1943 through August 1944, this region became the most important location in the world. Blending multiple cinematographic techniques, D-Day: Normandy 1944 brought this monumental event to the world's largest screens for the first time.

Audiences of all ages will discover from a new perspective how this landing changed the world. Exploring history, military strategy, science, technology and the enduring human spirit, the film will educate and appeal to all. D-Day: Normandy 1944 pays tribute to those who gave their lives for our liberty … a duty of memory, a duty of gratitude.

My Thoughts
One of the greatest and humbling experiences of my life was visiting the beaches of Normandy about seven years ago. I wasn’t really exited to go to France, but I made a deal with my wife that we could spend five days in Paris as long as I could have a full day in Normandy, and it was a trade I’d make 100 our of 100 times. Too see first-hand what the soldiers faced on that fateful day 76 years ago was an amazing experience. To say that these men and boys had big brass ones is an understatement.

Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan is probably the most accurate film in regard to the beach landing and this documentary does its best to teach you about the events, but I’m not particularly a fan of how the story is told. You get some overviews of the vehicles in an animated form, but it would have been nice to have seen the real thing.

Overall, the IMAX shot video is outstanding in 4K (and in 1080p) and for this reason alone, it’s worth watching. The DTS-HD 5.1 track is well done for the genre of film and there’s nothing to complain about there.   

Video 10/10

Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Interview with Pascal Vuong
  • Interview with Narrator Tom Brokaw
  • Interview with Historical Advisor Peter Hurrly
  • Behind the Scenes: Normandy
  • Behind the Scenes: Sand Animation
  • Behind the Scenes: Music
  • D-Day: 1944 Promo
  • D-Day: 1944 Trailer
  • Normandy Today
  • The D-Day Museum
  • Blu-ray

Conclusion
As someone who has seen Normandy in person, this is about as close as you can come to seeing the scope and beauty of the place without hopping on an airplane. My only gripe is it seems like it’s the Cliff’s Notes version of events and I would have preferred a much deeper dive into the history.   

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:33:23 AM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: D-Day Normandy 1944 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
Thanks for the review. I agree with you about "Saving Private Ryan". People should also check out "The Longest Day".
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal