AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Playon.Tv Streaming DVR Service

Playon.Tv Streaming DVR Service
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
I recently came across an article about offline viewing of streaming subscribers. I stream all my viewing content and I have been thinking about the fact that if the internet goes down I wont have anything other than a small pile of Blurays to watch. I know Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and some others have offered an option to download shows and movies for offline viewing. Ideally I would like to be able to download this content and put it on a portable hard drive, but that is wishful thinking. It seems playon.tv is a step in that direction though, from the bit I have read so far it seems like an online version of Kaleidoscape. There are apps for PC and IOS, once you have the correct app setup it looks like you are able to utilize any paid subscription service and download to one central location. There is a fee associated, they have an unlimited DVR package available right now for $35 which to me seems pretty reasonable if I can get everything in one place and available offline. I will do some more research on this but I wanted to see if anyone had ever heard of, used or knows anyone who has used this? 

claw

Re: Playon.Tv Streaming DVR Service
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:27:47 PM »
720P max resolution for recordings, so I have no interest.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
720P max resolution for recordings, so I have no interest.
Must be for the DVD crowd - not the 4K crowd !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
That is a big drawback, but for me 720 is better than nothing and I am not really interested in building a collection of discs. I dont know if there are other services out there that offer better video quality, I am new to the offline viewing idea but the couple options I have seen only offer 720. Fortunately I have had very good luck with my fiber internet provider, I have only had one short outage and that was from sever weather conditions. 

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
Must be for the DVD crowd - not the 4K crowd !
I am looking at it as a last resort, definitely not my main viewing. Just for those times when I cant get online. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal