The Song of Names (Blu-ray) review

The Song of Names (Blu-ray) review
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »

Studio: Sony Pictures Classic
Release Date: March 24, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Tim Roth and Clive Owen star in Francois Girard’s sweeping historical drama, about a man searching for his childhood best friend—a violin prodigy orphaned in the Holocaust—who vanished decades before on the night of his first public performance.

My Thoughts
Both of my kids played cello in the school orchestra from the time they were in the fourth grade, so I’ve became a fan of string instruments hearing them so much over the years. When this title came across my desk it intrigued me enough to request a review copy.

The film is extremely well edited and does a seamless job of jumping between time periods in order to keep the narrative interesting and it does a masterful job of filling in the gaps at the perfect time. Roth’s character is obsessed in finding his childhood friend and it begins to put a strain on his marriage, but that won’t deter him in his quest. For the vast majority of the film I was ready to give it 4.5/5—yes, it was that good. Unfortunately, the final scene of the movie nearly ruined the entire experience. I’m going to keep this spoiler free, but when you see it you’ll know exactly what I mean.

The presentation on Blu-ray is fantastic with crisp visuals, engrossing cinematography, and a DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack that comes alive during the musical sequences.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features:

• Behind The Song of Names: Director François Girard and Producer Robert Lantos brought Norman Lebrecht’s acclaimed novel to life with the outstanding performances of Tim Roth and Clive Owen.
  • Howard Shore: Composing & Scoring: After two years of research, composer Howard Shore conducts and records the score for THE SONG OF NAMES in Montreal.
  • Howard Shore & Ray Chen: Composer Howard Shore chose virtuoso Ray Chen for the incredible violin playing heard in THE SONG OF NAMES.

Conclusion
There’s a lot to like about this movie, but the ending really left a bitter taste in my mouth. The scene in question added nothing to the movie and makes you ponder one question—Why? Regardless, the sum of the experience was positive, the A/V presentation outstanding, and the music of Howard Shore is well worth the price of admission. Recommended for classical music fans. 

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal