• AV Science, Inc
Color Out of Space 4K Blu-ray
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
Color Out of Space 4K Blu-ray

Studio: RLJ Entertainment 
Release Date: Feb 25, 2020
Rating: Not rated
Film: 4/5

Plot –The plot revolves a family living on a farm outside Arkham, Massachusetts. One night a meteorite lands in the back yard. Strange things start happening, and eventually all Hell breaks loose.

My Thoughts – I love a good sci-fi horror film. This film is based on a H.P. Lovecraft short story. I loved reading H.P. Lovecraft as a kid, although I don’t recall this one. I found this very well done, and the cast was great – including Nicolas Cage, Tommy Chong, Joely Richardson and Madeleine Arthur. This is definitely a horror film – so not for those that don’t like a little blood at times. This is a good fun scary movie ! All my guests liked it !

Video 9 / 10 – this is a native 4K disc. Detail looked excellent, and despite no HDR, I thought colors looked outstanding. It wasn’t lacking anything on my screen – it’s about as bright and vivid as any film I’ve seen. This is a very good looking 4K disc. Note that the back cover says the 4K disc is 1.85:1 – that is incorrect. It’s 2.39:1. It’s a misprint. 

Audio 9 / 10 – the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sounded very good. LFE was impressive in my theater, as was the surround use. The filmmakers made good use of this soundtrack to add to the tension of the film.

Conclusion : if you like sci-fi / horror films, or are a H.P. Lovecraft or Nic Cage fan, check this film out.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FX surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subs
Four SVS SB2000 subs
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:10:16 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: Color Out of Space 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
I started watching this a couple of days ago, and wasted 30 minutes trouble-shooting my system, trying to figure out why it wasn't displaying HDR!!

And unfortunately, once I realized it was 4k, but not HDR, I ran into frequent pixelation and loss of audio.  I cleaned it thoroughly with water, but it didn't fix the problem.  I bought it at Amazon, and they are replacing it, as there's probably just something funky about the disc.

I ended up watching the regular Bluray, in part just to see how it looked compared to the 4k.  There was definitely a loss of detail and 'pop' to the picture.  I agree - the 4k disc, even without HDR, looked quite good.

I really enjoyed it for the first half of the movie, being drawn in as the plot began to reveal itself.  But I was disappointed in the second half, with the acting and the family's reaction as the 'horror' aspect took over.

But I'll give it a second watch once the replacement disc gets here, and see if my opinion changes at all.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Color Out of Space 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
I started watching this a couple of days ago, and wasted 30 minutes trouble-shooting my system, trying to figure out why it wasn't displaying HDR!!

And unfortunately, once I realized it was 4k, but not HDR, I ran into frequent pixelation and loss of audio.  I cleaned it thoroughly with water, but it didn't fix the problem.  I bought it at Amazon, and they are replacing it, as there's probably just something funky about the disc.

I ended up watching the regular Bluray, in part just to see how it looked compared to the 4k.  There was definitely a loss of detail and 'pop' to the picture.  I agree - the 4k disc, even without HDR, looked quite good.

I really enjoyed it for the first half of the movie, being drawn in as the plot began to reveal itself.  But I was disappointed in the second half, with the acting and the family's reaction as the 'horror' aspect took over.

But I'll give it a second watch once the replacement disc gets here, and see if my opinion changes at all.

Too bad about the defective 4K disc. Mine played fine. I also knew that this disc had no HDR to begin with. It's just like " Brawl In Cellblock 99 " - that's another 4K BR that doesn't have HDR. Thought it looked great regardless. 

I loved the 2nd half as much as the first half. I'll be watching this again with another room full of friends soon. After I rewatch " Midsommar " with some friends that haven't seen it. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal