AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey

Barry

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey
« on: February 21, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
This, I believe will be my most unusual review of a movie. And it will be forgotten anyway by the time David posts the review of the 4k disc.

Seeing that the R rated Deadpool did so well, DC enters the Adult Comic Book world with Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).  This movie is a sequel to the Suicide Squad, the first movie that Margot Robbie played Harley Quinn.

By the way Harley was NOT created in a comic book. She was created for the Batman animated series and really took off. She is based on Arleen Sorkin, a former star of the soap opera Days of Our Lives, who once wore a jester costume in a dream sequence.

Robbie is a very beautiful woman, who has a great screen presence.  She was very funny in Suicide Squad and was the only reason to watch that movie. I enjoyed when she, like Deadpool, broke the fourth wall and spoke to the audience. She does a lot of that here.

The premise of the movie is that she has broken up with the Joker and needs to find herself. (In reality, DC learned that their movies do better NOT connected to each other, unlike the Marvel Universe.)
Being R rated the movie uses strong language and has many violent scenes where people are hurt, killed, maimed, in great numbers as Harley finds herself.

I didn’t like this movie one bit, but my friends with did.  They laughed through the entire thing, I didn’t. It was long and boring, too violent to me because you knew the plot, you have seen everything before, evil wins at the end, and no one cares about the hundreds of people injured and killed or robbed.

I think I would have enjoyed this more as a 15 minute short.  I never thought I'd write  that a movie with Margot Robbie was too long!:-*

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:59:15 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:02:18 AM »
Thanks Barry. Yeah, this movie is either you love it or you hate it. I think I will be in the same boat as you. I will check it out as a rental if anything. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »
I'll wait for home video. If it sucks, I turn it off. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
I agree with you Barry, it was so boring...
JVC RS2000K, 144” Stewart Studiotek 130 Cinemascope screen, Anthem AVM 60, Oppo 203 UHD Blu ray player, Panasonic UB820, B&W 803 D2s, B&W HTM D2, B&W 805s, B&W CCM ceiling speakers.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
This is one movie I had zero interest in watching. Thanks for confirming! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »
I will watch it, but I will only do rental. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:08:07 AM »
While I agree that it's certainly not a great comic movie, I found it entertaining and enjoyed seeing it. Hell if nothing else it showed that women can make a movie just as shallow and sexist as men can, which is no mean feat. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal