Frozen 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review

Frozen 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:39:19 PM »

Studio: Disney
Release Date: February 25, 2020
Rating: PG
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
The answer to why Elsa was born with magical powers is calling her and threatening her kingdom. Together with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven, she sets out on a dangerous but remarkable journey. In “Frozen,” Elsa feared her powers were too much for the world. In the highly anticipated sequel, she must hope they are enough.

My Thoughts
How do you follow-up what was probably the best Disney Animation title in the past 25 years? Well, it turns out you wait about six years before releasing the sequel in order to build up anticipation for what comes next. With that long between movies, one would expect the script to be nearly perfect, the songs memorable, and the majority of fans satisfied with the results, right? While Disney didn’t hit a home run on this sequel, it isn’t nearly as bad as it could have been given their past history of follow-up endeavors.

If I had to sum up the movie in one word it would be “cute.” There’s nothing abhorrently wrong with the film other than it had virtually no chance of meeting expectations given how big of a phenomenon Frozen was. Its biggest flaw is that the songs are mostly forgettable and there’s no “Let it Go” moment that wows the audience.

The highlight to the movie is the animation, which is simply spectacular and looks almost 3D-like in the 4K presentation. There’s a slight uptick in detail over the stellar-looking Blu-ray and the HDR treatment does highlight the brighter aspects of the presentation with the blinding sunlight scorching your eyes. Furthermore, the nighttime sequences feature inky blacks with plenty of depth in the shadows.

I’m happy to see Disney supporting Atmos on its 4K titles (the Blu-ray is DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1). The sense of spaciousness is improved on the Atmos track but the LFE response is somewhat lacking at times, as is typical from the studio.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Sing Along with the Movie
  • Outtakes
  • Did You Know???
  • The Sprits of Frozen 2
  • Scoring a Sequel
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Deleted Songs
  • Gale Tests
  • “Into the Unknown” in 29 Languages
  • Music Videos
  • Song Selection
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
To be perfectly honest, this was not a film I was looking forward to watching. I really enjoyed Frozen a lot and have watched it more than once with my adult daughter—who was 17 when the film was originally released. I have so many fond memories of her that are tied to this film that it will forever hold a place in my heart and I’m sure I’m not the only parent to feel that way. Fortunately, the sequel exceeded my low expectations mainly because it didn’t try and retell the same story again and made the bold choice of trying to be original. The presentation is quite good, especially the video quality, so parents shouldn’t be disappointed at all. Recommended for fans.   

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Frozen 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:08:53 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I think I liked it s tiny bit more than you but, agree with your overall perspective.

Regards,

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I think I liked it s tiny bit more than you but, agree with your overall perspective.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. It could have been my mood at the time as well. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
I know if you and Ralph like it I am sure I will too. Thanks. But I am waiting for it to go on Disney Plus
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:49:15 PM »
I know if you and Ralph like it I am sure I will too. Thanks. But I am waiting for it to go on Disney Plus
It won't be long. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal