The Hunt for Red October (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Hunt for Red October (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »

Studio: Paramount 
 Release Date: February 25, 2020
 Rating: PG
Film:  5/5

Plot
 Based on Tom Clancy's bestseller, directed by John McTiernan (Die Hard), and starring Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin, THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER seethes with high-tech excitement and sweats with the tension of men who hold Doomsday in their hands. A new technologically superior Soviet nuclear sub, the Red October, is heading for the U.S. coast under the command of Captain Marko Ramius (Connery). The American government thinks Ramius is planning to attack. A lone CIA analyst named Jack Ryan (Baldwin) has a different idea: he thinks Ramius is planning to defect, but he has only a few hours to find him and prove it because the entire Russian naval and air commands are trying to find him, too. The hunt is on!

My Thoughts
 I absolutely love the Jack Ryan series of books from Tom Clancy and it all started with The Hunt for Red October, which was given to me as a gift back when I was in high school. Clancy painted a vivid picture of the narrative and it was the type of story that would definitely translate to the big screen. Sure enough, sic years later it hit the silver screen and I was at the front of the line on release day.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. The casting was absolutely perfect. Alec Baldwin personified how Jack Ryan was written and one would think he had him in mind when he sat down to write the book. Connery was the perfect Ramius, and Scott Glenn hit a home run as Bart Mancuso. The supporting cast of Sam Neill, James Earl Jones and Tim Curry rounded out the cast. Of all of Clancy’s book adaptations, this is the one film that stays true to the story and McTiernan keeps you on the edge of your seat for the majority of the film.

Video 7.5/10 

Audio 8/10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Beneath the Surface
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Audio Commentary
  • Steelbook Packaging
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
 This film is already available in the Jack Ryan 5-Film Collection that was released a couple of years ago. If you have that set, there’s no need to double-dip unless you really want the Steelbook packaging—which is quite nice. Regardless, if you skipped the collection due to its pricing or because you didn’t like one or more of the other films, then be sure to pick this one up. It’s definitely the best of the Ryan films and is in my Top 10 of All-time favorite films. Highly recommended.    

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: The Hunt for Red October (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »
I loved :Pthis movie was too! Is it worth getting if I have the regular blu ray? Is the 4K that much better? By the way did you ever see the movie K-19 The Widowmaker? I really enjoyed that movie too. And is the five movie set 4k?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
Dave, I'd like to know how the 4K disc looked on your projector too. This is in my Amazon list. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »
There's an uptick in quality over the Blu-ray, mainly in fine detail. There's still a bit of banding in the underwater sequences, but unless they do a new scan, these will always be there since they are in the original master. 

Barry, yes, the 5-disc set is all in 4K. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 03:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the review, David. This remains one of my favorite movies ever made. 

Barry

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
David, thanks for the information I did buy the five disc set. When I started watching the hunt last night. I had a busy day so I was only able to see half of it. But it still looks wonderful and it is a great story. Thanks again for the review
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
I'm screening this Friday - can't wait ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal