AVS Discussions
  Go Down

A couple of Questions Regarding NX7 and Lumagen Radiance Pro

A couple of Questions Regarding NX7 and Lumagen Radiance Pro
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
I am using a NX7 with a Lumagen Radiance Pro and was hoping that someone on this forum could help me with a couple of questions I have regarding calibration.

First, if I allow the Lumagen to send the HDR Flag to the NX7 then the projector defaults to the "Frame Adaptive HDR" mode. Do folks recommend using "Frame Adaptive HDR" along with the Lumagen's built-in HDR Intensity Mapping? I have calibrated the Lumagen Pro in the "HDR in a SDR container" setting per the recommendations from Lumagen (in the NX7's "HDR10" picture mode), but would like to be able to use the NX7's built-in ability to switch picture modes by turning on the HDR Flag. I just don't know whether having two different intensity mapping algorithms switched on at the same time is going to create too much degradation of the picture.

Second, and this is a potential way to avoid the question above, is there a way to have the NX7 switch to the "HDR10" picture mode based on a HDR flag instead of the "Frame Adaptive HDR" picture mode? 

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.

Kaustuv

Re: A couple of Questions Regarding NX7 and Lumagen Radiance Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
Hi, i think Lumagen Radiance PRO can make HDR tonemaping lot of bether DTM than JVC "Frame Adaptive HDR". Try contact your Lumagen radiance Pro calibrator or your seller.

or try look here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Go4aKttnSZM5Qi-VKTMu6imaYupjNBjH/view

this is one guide from www.avsforum.com member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »
You don't want to use the Lumagen's HDR Intensity Mapping with JVC's frame adaptive tone mapping at the same time. This effectively double tonemaps the video content and will provide suboptimal results. Stick to the lumagen to tone map. It is better at it.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
Thanks Dylan and thanks Riddle. I assumed that was the case. Is there any way to get the NX7 to automatically switch to the "HDR10" picture mode upon detection of HDR content (right now it switches to "Frame Adaptive HDR")?

Riddle - thanks for the link to the guide. I had not seen that before. I'll review it to see what other suggestions there are for calibrating the Lumagen Radiance Pro for HDR.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »
I am using a NX7 with a Lumagen Radiance Pro and was hoping that someone on this forum could help me with a couple of questions I have regarding calibration.

First, if I allow the Lumagen to send the HDR Flag to the NX7 then the projector defaults to the "Frame Adaptive HDR" mode. Do folks recommend using "Frame Adaptive HDR" along with the Lumagen's built-in HDR Intensity Mapping? I have calibrated the Lumagen Pro in the "HDR in a SDR container" setting per the recommendations from Lumagen (in the NX7's "HDR10" picture mode), but would like to be able to use the NX7's built-in ability to switch picture modes by turning on the HDR Flag. I just don't know whether having two different intensity mapping algorithms switched on at the same time is going to create too much degradation of the picture.

Second, and this is a potential way to avoid the question above, is there a way to have the NX7 switch to the "HDR10" picture mode based on a HDR flag instead of the "Frame Adaptive HDR" picture mode?

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.

Kaustuv
You have to change your preferred input mode for the JVC when it sees an HDR image. Right now it defaults to Frame-Adapt, but you can change that in the user settings. I don't recall the exact title of it, but there's a special page in the menu for it. It references both a HDR and HLG signal. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 05:49:57 PM »
You have to change your preferred input mode for the JVC when it sees an HDR image. Right now it defaults to Frame-Adapt, but you can change that in the user settings. I don't recall the exact title of it, but there's a special page in the menu for it. It references both a HDR and HLG signal.
Thanks David. I found the correct choice under the "Input" menu (there's a setting for "HDR Auto Select" where you can change from "Frame Adapt HDR" to "HDR10." It's amazing what you can find once someone else tells you that the choice exists :)

Thanks to everyone for the very prompt and helpful feedback. Much appreciated.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
That's one of the great things about high end projectors, they allow you to setup the projector in pretty much any way you want, even if it's not technically correct. TV manufacturers tend to treat their customers like idiots by auto-selecting things based upon the input signal type and don't typically leave you a lot to customize. I love my LG OLED, but it's no where near as flexible as the RS3000/NX9 is for setup options. The Lumagen is the same way with it offering a lot of granular control.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Jwb2

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »
Best to set your lumagen to “sdh 2020” for its hdr tone mapping. 

Then make sure your JVC uses gamma 2.4/6500k/bt2020

Works great 

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
Best to set your lumagen to “sdh 2020” for its hdr tone mapping.

Then make sure your JVC uses gamma 2.4/6500k/bt2020

Works great

Lumagen states a 2.4 gamma should be used for their tonemapper?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal