AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Denon/Marantz Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Vs. DTS Virtual X

I recently had the opportunity to test out the new Dolby Atmos height virtualization feature that came out with the recent Denon/Marantz firmware update. I used a Denon X1600H with a Def Tech 5.1 setup using Mythos GemXL and Mythos 9 LCRs. Also using a Def Tech SuperCube, if anyone is wondering. I found with the height virtualization active, I noticed an improvement in the overhead sound, its certainly not on par with an actual atmos setup but was a good step in that direction via only a firmware update. It provides a softer feel with the overhead sound than designated atmos, this can be a positive for some people as I have heard designated atmos can be distracting to some more than others. While the DTS Virtual X in my opinion, does a much better job of filling the room completely. When I would switch from Dolby to DTS it was though the volume had been turned up without actual adjusting the volume setting, though the overhead surround aspect was not as expansive. Like anything in the home theater realm there are always trade offs, but if you'r looking for a subtle atmos addition to your setup without having to run wires or new speakers, not to mention no additional costs, this is a great option. Is it worth upgrading from a 2018 model to the 2019 for this feature, thats up to the customer. If I had to put a dollar value on this feature I would say its worth $100 so for me not really worth swapping out my one year old model. Still a nice feature, just not enough for me to swap out my X3400H. 

Re: Denon/Marantz Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Vs. DTS Virtual X
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
The link below is for a review I found online, goes a bit more in depth 
https://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-sr6014-92-channel-av-receiver-reviewed/?page=2

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:19:41 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »
Jason, thanks for the post on this. Will be placing a new Denon AVR in my mother's 5.1 system and want to see how this sounds.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
Jason, thanks for the post on this. Will be placing a new Denon AVR in my mother's 5.1 system and want to see how this sounds.
When you get it up and running let us know what you think. It's a cool feature that only requires and internet connection to download the firmware update, cant get too much easier for the consumer than that. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal