AVS Discussions
  Go Down

It's just odd

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
It's just odd
« on: December 27, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
Hey, folks.  I've been away from all forums for more than a year.  Many major concerns (none tragic) have had priority, consumed and exhausted me.  My major relief valve has been my HT based on the Yamaha A3060.  

So you can imagine my anguish when the AVR just suddenly stopped working the other day (12/22)-- just powered down without warning forcing the complete system to switch to TV sound (so passthru still occurred).  Not good!  I turned it back on, all was well but after a few minutes the same power-off happened.  In all 5 times that evening even after a complete system reset and 15 minute shutdown.  At that point, I contacted JD and started looking at alternatives, but the next day when I turned the system on again, all was well and has continued to be well no matter what I've run through it.  

This is actually the second time this past year I've had a problem that led me to contact Yamaha for support.  The first time it was a strange video issue (I run video passthru only), but everything going through the Yamaha showed in shades of violet.  No similar problem with the TV alone, or with the OPPO connected direct to the TV.  As it happened, after totally freaking me out, the next day all was well and this has never recurred.

So aside from bringing this to the group's attention, I wonder if andy Yamaha owner has seen an issue like this?  Since the unit is out of warranty, I contacted both Yamaha and an authorized Yamaha service center for possible repair.  Yamaha is considering a warranty extension (a good thing!), but for now there is no problem.  I also wondered if anyone in this part of the southeast has any experience with TRIAD ELECTRONICS SERVICES INC of Winston-Salem, NC?

At this point, I'm counting on this to be an odd, one-off incident.  If it occurs again, I will get it repaired so I can re-sell but will also immediately buy a new A3080 -- I'm just not going to be without for two weeks or more.  Ideally, there will be no further issue and I can wait for the new Aventage line that would be expected in 2020.  
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: It's just odd
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »
That is bizarre. Hopefully it continues to work without issue. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »
I had an intermittent issue years ago with an Onkyo AVR. Sometimes I would have distorted sound in the center channel speaker while other times I did not. I tried to make it happen but never could. I went so far as to put in a different center speaker and change out the cable but still had the same issue.

I called Onkyo and after answering an array of "newbie" questions, I sent it to an authorized repair facility. After several conversations with two different techs (and lots more newbie questions), they said they couldn't reproduce the distortion. In the end, they flashed the firmware and shipped it back. When it arrived, I had the same problem and they paid to have it shipped back to them. Once again, they could find anything wrong and flashed the firmware.

It has sat in my equipment closet ever since. I went back to using a HT preamp and have lived happily ever after. 

richlife69

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »
So far so good.  Lots of use, various inputs.  Kinda bated breath all the time, but will just have to see.
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)

richlife69

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
Just to put this to bed, I've had no recurrence of the problem or any other issue since that one evening.  Yamaha Support had followed up requesting my serial number, etc., but after a week, I replied that there is no problem.  Now more than two weeks later, I'm "relaxing" and just hopeful.  

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »
I hope it continues to work the way that it should. Intermittent issues drive me crazy.

richlife69

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:06:42 PM »
Ain't that the truth!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal