Abominable (UHD Blu-ray) review

Abominable (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:54:49 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: December 17, 2019
Rating: PG
Film: 3/5

Plot
The story follows teenage Yi (Bennet) as she encounters a young Yeti on the roof of her apartment building in China, she and her mischievous friends, Jin (Trainor) and Peng (Tsai), name him “Everest” and embark on an epic quest to reunite the magical creature with his family at the highest point on Earth. But the trio of friends will have to stay one-step ahead of Burnish (Izzard), a wealthy man intent on capturing a Yeti, and zoologist Dr. Zara (Paulson) to help Everest get home.

My Thoughts
While Dreamworks have had some great animated movies—Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon—they’ve also had quite a few mediocre ones too, which is how I’d classify this. While not a bad film, per se, it just didn’t create a sense of magic or emotional impact that the great animated films of the past 20+ years bring to the table. The creature is cute and all, but he doesn’t really have much personality. Also, the first act feels rushed and the script seems like a bunch of miniature scenes cobbled together in order to tell a story.

On the plus side, the A/V presentation is excellent and there are no complaints about the audio or video.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Dreamworks Short – Marooned
  • Show & Tell
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Making a Myth (Movie)
  • Animating Abominable
  • Meet the Cast
  • Your Yeit Care Guide
  • Courage to Dream
  • An Abominable Tour with Chloe Bennet
  • Everest’s Talk Box
  • Cooking with Nai Nai
  • How to Abominable
  • You Can Speak Yeti-ese
  • Nai Nia Says
  • Feature Commentary
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I find it strange that Dreamworks chose to name the movie that’s defined as “very bad or unpleasant,” but thankfully the middling movie doesn’t ever reach that point. Maybe it was the mood I was in when I watched it, but it didn’t meet my expectations. Sure, it was cute and somewhat entertaining, but it’s by no means an animated classic.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL

Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Abominable (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:29:24 PM »
Greetings,

Man, what a Grinch! ;D

Seriously, I enjoyed this one a bit more than you did. Classic? No, but, still entertaining and heartwarming. Thanks for the review Dave.

Regards,

Re: Abominable (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
Greetings,

Man, what a Grinch! ;D

Seriously, I enjoyed this one a bit more than you did. Classic? No, but, still entertaining and heartwarming. Thanks for the review Dave.

Regards,
Bah, humbug!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal