AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Two Popes

Barry

The Two Popes
« on: December 21, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
The Two Popes or   
My Dinner with Benedict

Martin Scorsese says that he may retire from movie making because the movie theatres no longer show his movies. He may be right, but the reason may be not that the “franchise” movies have replaces his, but older audiences ae no longer going to the movies in great numbers.

This may be because of the excellent movies now shown on cable and streaming. Adults are watching these movies, but they are doing it in their pajamas in front of their large 4k TVs.

This month had three good films on Netflix. Ironically one was the Irishman by Scorsese, then the Marriage Story and now The Two Popes. It stars Anthony Hopkins as Pope Benedict XVI and Jonathan Pryce as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (a.k.a.) Pope Francis. It was based on a play by Anthony McCarten.

This was the sort of movie that we have not seen since “My Dinner With Andre” nearly forty years ago.  Basically, it is about two men talking about their lives and how they see their god.  It also shows the history of the men and how Bergoglio replaced Benedict when he was too pooped to Pope.

Beautifully photographed it is simply the story of two interesting men and we know how it will turn out. There is no passing the Jedi light saber here and there are no villains. Just two fine actors holding our attention and talking about what they felt the two Popes talked about.  That includes soccer! I am not Catholic and know little about the church but I enjoyed watching this.
It is  a pleasant reminder of what movies used to be and could be again now that adults are paying for streaming. One of my favorite scenes is when they send our for Pizza!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:42:27 AM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: The Two Popes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
I'll put this in my viewing queue. So many movies, so little time. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:33:11 PM »
Thanks for the review Barry. Will check it out.

Very hard nowadays to find a good movie that is just about the main characters interacting with each other and with no additional side comedy no physical action and over the top special effects, etc .. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:31:42 PM »
I saw this movie the other day, it was fabulous. I learned so much about Pope Francis and his early life. This is not my typical movie, l prefer being entertained rather than having to think about what is actually happening and the potential ripple effects. Whether you are Catholic or not, this is a very interesting movie and l highly recommend it. 
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
Martin Scorsese says that he may retire from movie making because the movie theatres no longer show his movies. He may be right, but the reason may be not that the “franchise” movies have replaces his, but older audiences ae no longer going to the movies in great numbers.

This may be because of the excellent movies now shown on cable and streaming. Adults are watching these movies, but they are doing it in their pajamas in front of their large 4k TVs.
I can't think of the last movie that I saw in the theater. If I had a great theater locally, it might be a different story. As for me, I'm currently sitting in front of the TV in my PJs. 

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »
I can't think of the last movie that I saw in the theater. If I had a great theater locally, it might be a different story. As for me, I'm currently sitting in front of the TV in my PJs.
I just had to put on jeans to walk the damn dog. So much for comfy clothes all day. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal