AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Non-spoiler review

Barry

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Non-spoiler review
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Non-spoiler review a

The best thing was that this was at a new Dolby Theater (AMC) seven minutes from my house!  The screen was large, the seats were reclining lounge chairs and while it was not the biggest image I have seen it was pretty big. And the sound was incredible. I never heard a movie this good!

I have enjoyed some of the Star Wars movies, the first three, of course and the Rebel solo movie.  I disliked the prequel trilogy and the Solo film. I did enjoy the first two of this trilogy.  I am not a Star Wars fanatic and I think that helps because I do not analyze every move or judge the movie that way.

In a non-spoiler review I only discuss what you might know from the coming attractions and give nothing away. This is hard to do with this movie because there are so many twists and surprises and I won’t mention any of them, except to say that Baby Yoda is not in this movie.

J.J. Abrams ties together the major parts of the initial two trilogies here. The movie is as much as an homage to the original as it is an ending to the last couple of movies. In that sense we see familiar things. I think the faithful fan would be pleased with this, although I bet the internet will have a bunch of people nit-picking it. The effects are very good, but we now expect that.  There is some humor here, but it is mostly a serious film.

But in this movie we do say good-bye to its real Princess, Carrie Fisher. That is the saddest part because that is reality.  Fisher, along with Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill really added weight and credibility to the first trilogy, they were that good.. Here, Daisy Ridley has come a long way in developing as an actress and section adventure star and she pulls it off well. But Adam Driver, who I also say in Blackklansman and Marriage Story (on Netflix) is just exceptional, I was impressed.

You don’t  have to leave all your brains at the door, but sit back and enjoy this movie. I give it a grade of B.

PS:  When the spaceships are destroyed in space they tend to fall down to the bottom of the screen.  There is no gravity in space. But then again there is no sound either but nothing is quiet.  The music, by John Williams never lets you forget it is a Star Wars movie, I liked it.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Non-spoiler review
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 10:56:08 PM »
Thanks Barry. I'm going to see it tomorrow at noon. I have low expectations, so hopefully I have fun!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »
As always, I appreciate your non-spoiler review, Barry.

I had mixed feelings about the last one so I'm hoping The Rise of Skywalker gets everything back on track to the original Trilogy. 

Waboman

• Growing older but not up
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
Just saw this in 3D at an UltraScreen DLX with Atmos. First off, the 3D was nice.  Glad we chose that version.  I enjoyed this. A fitting end to the Skywalker saga. Overall I approve. Full disclosure - I have removed TLJ from my cerebral cortex and it thusly no longer exists in my SWU.
When life gives you limes… make margaritas

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »
Just saw this in 3D at an UltraScreen DLX with Atmos. First off, the 3D was nice.  Glad we chose that version.  I enjoyed this. A fitting end to the Skywalker saga. Overall I approve. Full disclosure - I have removed TLJ from my cerebral cortex and it thusly no longer exists in my SWU.
Wabo, like you, I had the TLJ removed as well--absolutely HATED that movie (well, at least the second act, which was completely pointless). I thought this film was fun, moved at a very brisk pace, and laid the groundwork for some future films. It should make a great demo disc on UHD unless Disney screws up the soundtrack. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »
Thanks Barry for the review. Will check it out. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
We saw this movie in Dolby Theaters with very loud speakers and seats that moved.

Overall we enjoyed the movie and thought it was a good ending for the skywalker saga.

Worth seeing it on the big screen.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal