AVS Discussions
  Go Down

UPS - Universal Power Supply for HTPC

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
UPS - Universal Power Supply for HTPC
« on: November 25, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
For those of you who are having a home theater PC, are you using any UPS?

A friend of mine is asking whether this one is good for his HTPC..

He wants one that will last a long blackout or power outage..

Any recommendations? Is this one good? Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:21:37 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: UPS - Universal Power Supply for HTPC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »
I am no help on this one.

I've never seriously considered one but we have pretty stable power around here. I've never experienced a major surge, brown-out that affected my system. Power outages are also extremely rare.

tripplej

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »
There are various type of UPS available on amazon but it is very hard to decide which is best. Some will only give power just to allow you enough time to power down while others will go a lot longer like the one above. But of course, it will also depend on how many items you plug into it as well as the wattage consumption for those units.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
I did some research on this in the past, and at least for JVC Projectors, a "Pure" sine-wave UPS is required.

As for the duration, I only needed enough to properly power down the Projector in case of a power loss.  If I wanted to continue to watch a movie, I would need enough UPS capacity to drive all my speakers and subwoofer, which would be totally impractical.  So if the power goes out while I'm watching, I would just start the power down cycle on the Projector.

I bought a CyberPower Pure Sine-Wave unit, CP1350PFCLCD, for a reasonable price.  I tested it with my prior RS400, and it had no problem maintaining power long enough to properly cool down the Projector.

tripplej

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
I did some research on this in the past, and at least for JVC Projectors, a "Pure" sine-wave UPS is required.

As for the duration, I only needed enough to properly power down the Projector in case of a power loss.  If I wanted to continue to watch a movie, I would need enough UPS capacity to drive all my speakers and subwoofer, which would be totally impractical.  So if the power goes out while I'm watching, I would just start the power down cycle on the Projector.

I bought a CyberPower Pure Sine-Wave unit, CP1350PFCLCD, for a reasonable price.  I tested it with my prior RS400, and it had no problem maintaining power long enough to properly cool down the Projector.
Great. Thanks for the input. I will suggest him to look at this as well. Thanks once again. :)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
Thanks. Didn't realize Panamax  made UPS as well. Will have him look into it. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Thanks. Didn't realize Panamax  made UPS as well. Will have him look into it.
I've had mine for over 10 years now. I just replaced the battery.

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
I've had mine for over 10 years now. I just replaced the battery.
Your battery lasted 10 years or it died a while back and you are just now replacing?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Your battery lasted 10 years or it died a while back and you are just now replacing?
The battery finally quit holding a charge and needed replacing after 10 years. A battery back up that could run a projector 10 years between charges would probably be really really large ! :-[:-X;D

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 02:38:42 AM »
If anyone is still watching...

The initial APC unit posted looks to me like overkill for a HTPC. It's the 2200VA unit. While good there are much less expensive units at the 1500VA rating (~900 watts output power) that are more than sufficient for a high end PC. HTPCs these days don't even need to be that high end. But the power supplies usually do like to see a sine wave. So the CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD model someone mentioned is good, and it goes for less than 25% of the APC. I have 3 of these (well 1 is the 1500VA version) on my PCs & server. APC also has a similar model around the same price so if you like that brand it's here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779QFRRT/?coliid=I37N4GTWBNRROB&colid=44MBCUR9KVGJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it .

Also, the Panamax MB1500 is a more HT oriented UPS / power conditioner, and as far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the Furman F1500 which goes for $400-500 less. They are made by the same company now. I got a used model of the Furman - it has a 4 battery configuration so it's a very robust and heavy beast. In comparison the above CyberPower & APC units rated at the same 1500 VA only have 2 batteries - so your run time would be about double. BH Photo has a good deal on the Furman "like new" for even less.

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 09:18:24 AM »
The battery finally quit holding a charge and needed replacing after 10 years. A battery back up that could run a projector 10 years between charges would probably be really really large ! :-[:-X;D
No, I was impressed/surprised that the battery lasted 10 years. I thought that maybe it had died a while back and you were just getting around to replacing it. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »
10 years for an SLA battery is WAY beyond what they are supposed to do. 3-5 years is more the norm. I got some Duracells for my last replacement that are claimed to be much longer lasting than typical (and more expensive than the basic 12v 8ah type batteries you'll see all over Amazon), but that was less than a year ago so it'll be a long time before I can verify that claim. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
10 years for an SLA battery is WAY beyond what they are supposed to do. 3-5 years is more the norm. I got some Duracells for my last replacement that are claimed to be much longer lasting than typical (and more expensive than the basic 12v 8ah type batteries you'll see all over Amazon), but that was less than a year ago so it'll be a long time before I can verify that claim.
Only 3 years would be a bummer, since the replacement battery is $ 200.00 and a heavy beast !

AVSMike

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Only 3 years would be a bummer, since the replacement battery is $ 200.00 and a heavy beast !
Three years is the typical  life that I see them lasting, if you actually test to see if it is providing the time it is supposed to. That is the whole reason I do not do battery backup. I figured I would spend more in batteries than I would in reduced lamp life. Also we do not have very many power outages. Usually only if a really bad storm takes down a line and I generally do not use my projector during bad storms.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:26:26 AM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal