AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Disney +

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Disney +
« on: November 13, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
Yesterday was the launch of Disney Plus..

Per avclub,

It may have suffered some technical hiccups on launch, but Disney+ is already massively successful for Disney, which reports that over 10 million people signed up for the streaming service in its first day.

Anybody here signed up yesterday to be part of that 10 million user base??

wow. 10 million in one day. Impressive.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:35:18 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Disney +
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
Not me. Maybe Dave !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Waboman

• Growing older but not up
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:21:16 PM »
Yep, signed up and watched The Mandalorian twice.;D  Also, all the Star Wars have been given the 4K DV/DA love.  The Mouse is bringing out the big guns. 
When life gives you limes… make margaritas

tripplej

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
Congrats on joining the other 10 million users.

How are the older shows? Do they look good?
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
I didn't sign up, but my daughter did and I'm using her account. Watched the first episode of "The Mandelorian," which is very good, but the show paused 6 times in 40 minutes. Lots of day one glitches. Also, their HDR doesn't broadcast the MaxCLL and MaxFALL of the stream, so the gamma is a bit too dark for my JVC to handle the tonemapping properly. Hopefully that's something they fix, but then again, Disney is notorious for NOT providing it on the UHD discs too :(

I ended up watching some of Episode 1 and Episode IV just to see how they did with the 4K. In both cases, it looked about Blu-ray quality, but they did do a good job with the Atmos upmixes. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
I wonder if they will crack down on folks sharing passwords. I know netflix is going to crack down shortly..

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
I wonder if they will crack down on folks sharing passwords. I know netflix is going to crack down shortly..
It allows up to 4 users on the account, so it's within the TOS. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:27:07 PM »
I signed up for the 7 day free trial via my Apple TV 4K.    I don't intend to continue the subscription; for now at least.

I took a peek at several titles; I wasn't that impressed with The Mandalorian first episode.

When I got to Toy Story 3, I couldn't stop watching.  I have never seen any streaming source look this good.  I watched it all the way through. 
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Waboman

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
I didn't sign up, but my daughter did and I'm using her account. Watched the first episode of "The Mandelorian," which is very good, but the show paused 6 times in 40 minutes. Lots of day one glitches. Also, their HDR doesn't broadcast the MaxCLL and MaxFALL of the stream, so the gamma is a bit too dark for my JVC to handle the tonemapping properly. Hopefully that's something they fix, but then again, Disney is notorious for NOT providing it on the UHD discs too :(

I ended up watching some of Episode 1 and Episode IV just to see how they did with the 4K. In both cases, it looked about Blu-ray quality, but they did do a good job with the Atmos upmixes.
Au contraire mon frère.  While the OT will never be reference demo quality, this is the best they've ever looked.  In fact, I read this is a complete 4K remaster.  Watching the Cloud City battle in Empire was a blast.  The downside is you can see how cheesy some of the sets and mattes are.  Makes it fun tho.  Plus, Atmos audio.  C'mon man.  This is a win no matter how you slice it, yo. ;)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
Au contraire mon frère.  While the OT will never be reference demo quality, this is the best they've ever looked.  In fact, I read this is a complete 4K remaster.  Watching the Cloud City battle in Empire was a blast.  The downside is you can see how cheesy some of the sets and mattes are.  Makes it fun tho.  Plus, Atmos audio.  C'mon man.  This is a win no matter how you slice it, yo. ;)
I can't wait for these on 4K Blu-ray ! Next year ! :)

Waboman

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
uh-oh.  Trouble at the magic kingdom. 

Thousands of hacked Disney+ accounts are already for sale on hacking forums

Hackers and now "fake" HDR.  The Mouse will not stand for this aggression, man.:D

tripplej

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 07:07:35 AM »
Hopefully Disney + uses multi factor authentication. The only way to go with streaming for protection. :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
uh-oh.  Trouble at the magic kingdom. 

Thousands of hacked Disney+ accounts are already for sale on hacking forums

Hackers and now "fake" HDR.  The Mouse will not stand for this aggression, man.:D

The real HDR will be on the 4K Star Wars Blu-rays ! 8)

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 01:50:03 AM »
I live in Santa Ana, CA and the Disney+ channel does not show anything in 4K...my HDMI cables are certified...and I don't know what the problem is.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 02:00:29 AM »
I live in Santa Ana, CA and the Disney+ channel does not show anything in 4K...my HDMI cables are certified...and I don't know what the problem is.
What device are you using (Roku, Apple TV)?
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal