Dora and the Lost City of Gold (Blu-ray) review

Dora and the Lost City of Gold (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »

Studio: Paramount / Nickelodeon  
Release Date: November 19, 2019
Rating: PG
Film: 3/5

Plot
Having spent most of her life exploring the jungle with her parents, nothing could prepare Dora (Isabela Moner, Instant Family) for her biggest challenge yet – high school. When her parents mysteriously disappear while searching for the Lost City of Gold, Dora must swing into action and lead a group of ill-equipped high schoolers on a wild quest to save them. Hold on for a high stakes mission as Dora and her new friends navigate the jungle, outrun treasure hunters, and solve ancient puzzles to unlock the mystery of the fabled city.

My Thoughts
My kids used to watch this show when they were young and so I requested it thinking my wife and I could take a walk down memory lane. Ugh, it was a long 100 minutes getting through this film. It’s catered towards the kids for sure, but I found the story to be overly preachy, predictable, and well, just a tad bit corny. Then again, I’d probably love it if I were 10 years old, although that ship sailed 40 years ago!

While the film itself bored me, I found the audio and video quality to be excellent—especially the Atmos track which makes great use of the overhead speakers. In fact, one scene in particular stands out. It’s when a school bell rings and it literally came from directly overhead and scared the crap out of both of us!

Video 4.5/5 

Audio 5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Bloopers
  • Deleted/Extended Scenes
  • All About Dora
  • Can you Say Pelicula?
  • Dora In Flower Vision
  • Dora’s Jungle House
  • Blu-ray+ DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
If you have young kids, this one will be right up your alley. While it’s not as enjoyable as a Pixar film, it does have its moments. I found it to be a little too preachy and predictable, but the audio and video kept me interested until the end.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)

Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Waboman

• Growing older but not up
Re: Dora and the Lost City of Gold (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:54:23 PM »
When my kids were younger we took them to the Dora live production... twice.:o  I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming; turn the wheel, Isa!  Isa turn the wheel!  I actually have this in my queue.;D   
When life gives you limes… make margaritas

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 12:03:52 AM »
I remember the cartoon. Wasn’t too bad. I’m glad my kids are older so I will pass. 

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Our daughter grew up watching Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go. She claims to this day that she learned more Spanish from those two shows than in Spanish class.

However, I refuse to watch any new Dora movie where she doesn't catch stars (estrellas) and put them into her star pocket. ;D

Thanks for the review, David.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal