AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Are Marvel movies cinematic?

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Are Marvel movies cinematic?
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
from vice

"Martin Scorsese trashed the Marvel movies in an interview with Empire magazine. "Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being," Scorsese said."
"Francis Ford Coppola followed suit this weekend, backing up Scorsese's comments at the Lumière Film Festival. "When Martin Scorsese says that Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right, because we expect to learn something from cinema. We expect to gain something—some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is," Coppola said."
from hoffpost,

"“You’re seeing what’s available out there and it’s just diminishing and diminishing in terms of, it’s big Marvel movies, or things that I’m not just asked to do or really that interested in living in a green screen,” Aniston told the show business daily.Aniston harkened back to a previous generation of films.  “I think we would so love to have the era of Meg Ryan come back,” she said. “I just think it would be nice to go into a movie theater, sit cozy. I think we should have a resurgence. Let’s get the ‘Terms of Endearment’ back out there. You know, ‘Heaven Can Wait,’ ‘Young Frankenstein,’ ‘Blazing Saddles,’ ‘Goodbye Girl.’ ”"

So, this begs to question..

Are marvel movies cinematic?

Any thoughts?
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Are Marvel movies cinematic?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Sure they are. It's all art. I enjoy all sorts of movies. Just like I enjoy jazz, baroque classical and house music ( and a bit of reggae too ). :)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »
Granted, marvel movies will not win best picture for drama or anything like that but yes, it is entertainment and as such, it is cinematic. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 03:36:28 PM »
Here's my latest Marvel movie purchase ! 

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »
Here's my latest Marvel movie purchase !
Craig, I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I finished my 23 movie marathon...it made July a great month, that's for sure. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »
Craig, I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I finished my 23 movie marathon...it made July a great month, that's for sure.
Just waiting on Spider-Man: Homecoming to finish the set ! :)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »
Just waiting on Spider-Man: Homecoming to finish the set ! :)
Patience young Jedi ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
Patience young Jedi ;)
That's the next movie series I'm going to watch on 4K! 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal