Yesterday (UHD Blu-ray) review

Yesterday (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »

Studio: Universal   
Release Date: September 24, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Jack Malik was just another struggling songwriter...but that was yesterday. After a mysterious blackout, Jack (Himesh Patel; BBC’s “EastEnders”) discovers he is the only person on earth who remembers The Beatles! As he rockets to fame by passing off the Fab Four’s songs as his own, Jack risks losing Ellie (Lily James; Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Cinderella) – the one person who has loved him and believed in him from the start. Kate McKinnon and Ed Sheeran also star in this romantic rock ‘n’ roll comedy from Academy Award®-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) and Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually).

My Thoughts
This was a movie that I really wanted to see in the theaters but never got around to going, so I eagerly anticipated watching it in 4K in my own theater. I’m a big fan of most of the Beatles music and I absolutely adore Lily James, so it was right up my alley. Even with such high expectations, it wowed me from the first act. Patel is extremely talented and nails the musical numbers that are etched into most of the world’s brain when it comes to the popular Beatles songs. James’ looks are understated in the film—I personally think she’s gorgeous in any setting—but in this case she plays the “every girl” role extremely well and doesn’t look like a beauty queen.

The concept of the film is brilliant and really makes you think. It also shows the darker side of fame and fortune and the sacrifices one must make to be a pop star in today’s world. I was really surprised at the deeper meaning that the film offered up and liked the romantic element that is integral to the story. Boyle does his usual bang-up job in the director’s chair as well and keeps the story moving along briskly and gets the most out of the actors, although I’ve never been a big fan of Kate McKinnon and she did her best to ruin the movie for me and ultimately failed!

The 4K video encode is flawless and makes the most of its 4K DI. When I looked up the technical specs and saw the film was actually shot in 8K and downconverted to 4K I wasn’t surprised why it looked so good. Details are razor sharp, colors are bold and beautiful, and black levels and shadow detail are to die for. The Atmos track is just as impressive and will definitely please enthusiasts.

Video 10/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Alternate Opening
  • Alternate Ending
  • Deleted Scenes (12)
  • Gag Reel
  • Live at Abbey Road Studios
  • Ed Sheeran: From Stadium to Screen
  • Agent of Comedy: Kate McKinnon
  • A Talented Duo
  • Playing for Real
  • Soul Mates
  • A Conversation with Richard and Ed
  • Feature Commentary
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
This hasn’t been a great year for theatrical releases, so the bar is set pretty low when it comes to ranking the best films so far. Regardless, this is near the top of my list and it’s definitely something I’ll watch again in the near future mainly due to the comedic elements and the outstanding performance of Patel recreating the magic of the Beatles. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Yesterday (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 12:25:11 AM »
My interest is peaked. It's already in my Amazon " Movie List ". I'll pick this up when the price comes down a bit. Thanks ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
Greetings,

Yep! Everything that Dave said. Nice review buddy..

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »
Greetings,

Yep! Everything that Dave said. Nice review buddy..
Thanks Ralph. Great minds....
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal