AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Lion's Lair Theater Build

Re: The Lion's Lair Theater Build
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »
Room looks good. :)
Getting closer.
Yes! I'm getting down to the smaller tedious items now. I see the light at the end of the tunnel tho.

AVSMike

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 09:16:05 AM »
Is the rest of the family starting to get excited about the theater, since they can now see it taking shape?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2020, 10:47:08 PM »
Is the rest of the family starting to get excited about the theater, since they can now see it taking shape?
Oh yeah! My daughters and wife are already planning for movie nights.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2020, 10:50:20 PM »
Worked on prototyping my column fronts. It turned out pretty good. I think I'm going to use this for the remaining columns with maybe some miner tweaks.

I also go my screen material. Seymour Center Stage XD. I will be dong a DIY frame for it.

AVSMike

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:02 PM »
Did you look at  DreamScreen V6? Much better weave, but lower gain.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 01:11:12 AM »
Did you look at  DreamScreen V6? Much better weave, but lower gain.
Yes I did. It was really nice.  But because of the size of the screen I needed something with a higher gain.

AVSMike

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
Yes I did. It was really nice.  But because of the size of the screen I needed something with a higher gain.
Yep, that is the only problem with weaves, lower gain. XD is a little higher gain at 0.93. 

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »
I forgot to mention that I'm spray painting the frame of my column fronts flat black before I wrap them. I don't know if that's needed but I don't won't any unwanted colors to show.

AVSMike

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
Yes, you definitely want to paint them or the light colored frames will show through.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
We have carpet!!! I can already hear the difference in the room when talking with just the carpet.  It's actually darker in person.  I'm excited to hear what it sounds like with additional treatment.

AVSMike

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
You are getting to equipment install stage. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2020, 09:36:35 AM »
The last few days I worked on the sounds treatments for the front wall. I added two corner base traps. I cut furring strips to create a frame and levels for the base traps. I had leftover roofing felt so I used that with the furring strips to create the "floor" to ensure the owen corning insulation doesn't topple. I placed them every foot. I think covered it with speaker cloth I got from Joann fabrics. I finished the wall with acoustic foam and 3M spray adhessive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:07:44 AM by lldalastdon »

AVSMike

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2020, 09:54:42 AM »
The last picture makes me laugh. Looking at the speakers, you would think they are small bookshelf speakers, due to how large the subs are. :) 

Tip
Open your pictures, rotate them, even if showing right side up. Then rotate them back to right side up and save. Then when you post them, they will be right side up. 

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »
The last picture makes me laugh. Looking at the speakers, you would think they are small bookshelf speakers, due to how large the subs are. :)

Tip
Open your pictures, rotate them, even if showing right side up. Then rotate them back to right side up and save. Then when you post them, they will be right side up.
Haha! They do.  Thanks for the tip. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was rotated when posted but looks correct on my phone and computer. I'll fix them in my post when I get back home. 

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 11:18:31 PM »
I built my screen over the last few days. I went with the 160" screen. It turned out great. I stapled it to the back edge and get a zero edge screen. Instead of doing a French cleat, I bought some heavy duty Z clips. They did the job. Next I need to build the side panels.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal