Lock Up (UHD Blu-ray) review

Lock Up (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »

Studio: Lions Gate  
Release Date: September 10, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
“This is hell and I’m going to give you a guided tour!” With these chilling words, the warden (Donald Sutherland) welcomes Frank Leone (Sylvester Stallone) to Gateway Prison, a nightmare jail where every minute is hard time. The warden wants vengeance for the past; Leone wants only to survive the present.

My Thoughts
Thirty years ago this film hit theaters and while it’s certainly far-fetched, if you’re a fan of Stallone you’ll find yourself entertained. Granted, one needs to check their brain at the door because if you think too much about the implausible plot, you’ll spend most of the movie giggling instead of feeling the tension of the plight of our hero.

I literally hadn’t seen this movie since its theatrical release when I was 20 years old, so I wasn’t sure whether it would hold up with my more refined tastes of today. Fortunately, I was still able to enjoy it for what it is—mindless entertainment.

It looks like a new transfer was minted for this release and it comes across surprisingly good for a “B” title. Color rendition is very strong, especially reds, and the shadows are extremely well resolved. It certainly helps that it was shot on 35mm film. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track is quite immersive, especially with Dolby Upmixing engaged on my pre/pro. The spacious sounds of the prison sound lifelike and engrossing and dialog is always intelligible.

Video 9/10 

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• “Making of” Featurette
  • “About Sylvester Stallone” Featurette
  • Interview with Sylvester Stallone
  • Interview with Donald Southerland
  • Interview with Sonny Landham
  • Interview with John Amos
  • “Behind the Scenes” Featurette
  • Original Trailer
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
Although this isn’t one of Stallone’s finest roles, he shows he’s more than just an action star. The film isn’t a classic, but receives some TLC from Lions Gate for it’s 30th Anniversary release on UHD.
Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Calman Ultimate & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)
Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Lock Up (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
This is on my list for Black Friday buys assuming the price is $9.99 or less. :)

Re: Lock Up (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Greetings,

I had my finger on the review request button but, interest wasn't high enough for me. We'll see, if the price is right I may pick it up at some point. Thanks Dave!

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal