Godzilla: King of Monsters (UHD Blu-ray) review

Godzilla: King of Monsters (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: August 25, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers 
Release Date: August 27, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

My Thoughts
I loved watching Godzilla films as a kid and really liked what the reboot did with the story in 2014 and was surprised it took five years for a sequel to be made. I generally enjoyed myself with this production, but it isn’t without flaws. First and foremost, it’s too long at 131 minutes. Second, the script is a bit of a mess at times with too much going on with multiple subplots and needless story diversions. Third, is there such a thing a too many monsters? If so, that’s the case here.

All that being said, it’s a fund movie overall and the main story is captivating and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Granted, the kick-ass Dolby Atmos track doesn’t hurt with foundation-shaking bass, immersive panning effects moving throughout the room, and plenty of onscreen mayhem. Like most 4K movies these days—especially ones with a boatload of CGI—this is a 2K upconvert and adds a bit more detail over the Blu-ray and primary colors are more saturated. HDR effects also increase the viewing pleasure, especially the bright highlights which will have you reaching for sunglasses on multiple occasions!

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Monsters 101
  • Evolution of the Titans
  • Monarch in Action
  • Millie Bobby Brown: Force of Nature
  • Monster Tech: Monarch Joins the Fight
  • Monsters are Real
  • Welcome to the Monsterverse
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Audio Commentary.
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
The third act gets a bit corny, but that’s to be expected with the genre, but overall it’s a fun way to spend a couple of hours—although it could have easily been 20-30 minutes shorter with some refinement of the screenplay and some judicious editing. Regardless, the presentation on 4K is to die for and if you’re a fan of the franchise, definitely pick this one up for the Atmos track—it’s monstrous!

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Calman Ultimate & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)

Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Godzilla: King of Monsters (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »
I liked the old black & white Godzilla movies as a kid.  Based on your review, and a few friends that saw it in the theater, I'm going to give this one a rent.

At the very least, it sounds like the LFE soundtrack and CGI will make it a good popcorn flick to exercise my home theater.

As always, thanks for the review.

Re: Godzilla: King of Monsters (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »
Greetings,

Light on story but, a rockin' home theater listening experience. BOOM!

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal