Rocketman (UHD) review

Rocketman (UHD) review
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »

Studio: Paramount 
Release Date: August 27, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Rocketman is a one-of-a-kind musical celebration set to Elton John’s most beloved songs. Discover how a shy, small-town boy becomes one of the most iconic figures in rock & roll. Featuring an all-star cast, this truly spectacular and utterly electrifying ride is filled with show-stopping musical performances

My Thoughts
This was a movie that I was on the fence about seeing for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t like watching a biopic of someone who is still living and even worse, executive produces the production because I don’t think you get at the “real” truth with the person featured in the story is involved—you get their version of events instead of a wide array of input. Second, I wasn’t sure how well Taron Egerton would be able to perform as one of the most iconic personalities from my youth.

As a film, this is very entertaining and enlightening. It pulls no punches and shows how Reginald Kenneth Dwight transformed from a shy piano prodigy into the rock star Elton John. He teamed up with lyricist Bernie Taupin in 1967 and over the past 50+ years, they have collaborated on more than 50 albums. In the film, you’ll discover like most famous people, life hasn’t been easy for the musician. John became addicted to drugs, alcohol, and sex and while fame is great for your bank account, it puts a beating on your emotional state and John fought many demons until ultimately hitting bottom and seeking treatment.

The rock star shines on UHD Blu-ray and features a fabulous encode with stable blacks, vivid colors, and rich detail. The Atmos track really shines during the musical numbers and draws you into the proceeding.

Video 9/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Extended Musical Numbers
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes
  • It’s Going to be a Wild Ride: Creative Vision
  • Becoming Elton John: Taron’s Transformation
  • Larger Than Life: Production Design & Costuming
  • Full Tilt: Staging the Musical Numbers
  • Music Reimagined: The Studio Sessions
  • Rocketman Lyric Companion: Sing-Along with Selected Songs
  • Rocketman Jukebox: Jump Straight to the Music
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
Despite my trepidation going in, I really enjoyed this film in how it took the music from the man and crafted it into his life story (or at least the first half of his life). I’ve always enjoyed John’s music over the years and own many of his concerts on Blu-ray and DVD and found his life troubling, but also inspiring to realize that while I’m not rich and famous, I’m a lot happier than he was during his climb to fame. Highly recommended.
Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Calman Ultimate & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)

Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Rocketman (UHD) review
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
The wife and I have actually wanted to see this one. We'll give it a rent as time allows.

Thanks for the review, David.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
We rented this on Friday night.  Oddly enough, they didn't carry the UHD BD as they normally do with new releases, so went with the BD.  Very good PQ still.  Audio was rather good, but I found myself struggling to clearly hear the dialogue at times. 

I thought the movie was pretty good, but different than I was expecting.  I watched one of the features afterward to get a better understanding of why the movie was made the way it was compared to your typical biopic film and then it made more sense to me.

Since watching it, I have found myself going to Youtube after to watch and listen at some of Elton's original music and live performances.

Great point on how being rich and famous certainly doesn't bring happiness.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:09:15 PM »
I have the UHD disc on it's way. Looking forward to watching this. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal