Isn't it Romantic (Blu-ray) review

Isn't it Romantic (Blu-ray) review
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: May 21, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
New York City architect Natalie (Rebel Wilson) works hard to get noticed at her job but is more likely to be asked to deliver coffee and bagels than to design the city’s next skyscraper. And if things weren’t bad enough, Natalie, a lifelong cynic when it comes to love, has an encounter with a mugger that renders her unconscious, waking to discover that her life has suddenly become her worst nightmare—a romantic comedy—and she is the leading lady.

My Thoughts
I had somewhat low expectations heading into this film given that I’ve never really found its star, Rebel Wilson, that funny. Wow did she surprise me here. What really makes this film work is the screenplay from Erin Cardillo, Dana Fox, and Katie Silberman, which is funny from the first scene until the end of the movie. Wilson is fantastic and her chemistry with the supporting actors is outstanding.

This is an excellent Blu-ray presentation and I would have loved to have seen a 4K release of the title for one reason—the expanded color palette. Even though the presentation is relegated to 1080- and the rec.709 color-space, the colors leap off the screen, particularly when Natalie is “stuck” in the romantic comedy universe. The audio track is highlighted by some catchy tunes, which typically grace the romantic comedy genre.

Video 4.5/5 

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• I Wanna Dance!
  • Deleted Scenes
  • DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Given the poor reviews of this film from audience goers, I didn’t expect much and I was pleasantly surprised by its entertainment value. In fact, I could see myself watching this again when I’m looking for a good laugh or two. What would be really fun is if Warner ever re-releases this in the future (on 4K—hint, hint), to have a bonus feature that lets you know which romantic comedy of the past is being “spoofed” in each particular scene! Regardless, this is a fun way to spend the evening, so definitely check it out.

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal