The Kid (Blu-ray) review
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »

Studio:
Lions Gate
Release Date: June 4, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
In this thrilling Western, a young boy, Rio (Jake Schur), is forced to go on the run across the American Southwest in a desperate attempt to save his sister (Leila George) from his villainous uncle (Chris Pratt). Along the way, he encounters Sheriff Pat Garrett (Ethan Hawke), on the hunt for the infamous outlaw Billy the Kid (Dane DeHaan). Rio finds himself increasingly entwined in the lives of these two legendary figures as the cat-and-mouse game of Billy the Kid’s final year of life plays out. Ultimately, he is forced to choose which type of man he is going to become, the outlaw or the man of valor, and will use this self-realization in a final act to save his family.

My Thoughts
The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes on this movie were somewhat poor (45%), but audience members gave it 70% and so I thought I’d give it a shot. Well, the critics were right about this one. It’s very uneven from beginning to end due to the poorly written script. The acting is good and the cinematography is excellent, but the screenplay is like a car running out of gas—it just sputters along and it’s hard to feel anything for the characters.

The video transfer shines in the daylight and struggles with depth and detail in the nighttime scenes. I contemplated a .5 point increase because when it looks good, it looks extremely good. The audio has a few moments where gunshots ring out, but the overall presentation is heavily weighted to the front of the room with little activity in the surrounds.

Video 4/5

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• The Making of The Kid
  • Digital Copy

Conclusion

Overall, this one is a disappointment and I couldn’t get into the story from the outset. At times I thought it was getting better and then within 10 minutes I was wondering why I was wasting my time. I couldn’t connect with any of the characters and by the end didn’t really care who lived or died.
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: The Kid (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »
Dave, i no longer hwve to write posts like these, thanking for saving my time.  I can now just press the ‘like’ button!  But thanx!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal