AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Sound United to Purchase Onkyo

« on: May 16, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
Just read this in the newsletter AVScience sent out:

Audio giant Sound United LLC, owner of brands including Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé, and Boston Acoustics, has entered into an agreement to acquire Onkyo Corporation’s consumer audio division, including the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, and Integra brands.
Under the deal, Sound United would acquire all worldwide third-party distribution agreements under which Onkyo products are currently sold and Onkyo Corporation would retain the rights to the Pioneer and Onkyo brands for its Digital Life and Embedded Audio businesses.
The deal is subject to approval from regulators and Onkyo’s shareholders, who will meet at the company’s annual meeting in late June.

This is very interesting. I don't know how to feel about this. It would seem that Sound United almost has a monopoly on the AV Receiver market now. Now Denon, Marantz and Onkyo are all under the same parent company? This can't be good for the consumer. It makes it far easier to artificially raise the price on amps, pre-pros and A/V Receivers. There really should be better anti-trust laws to prevent this. Who's left as an alternative? Yamaha? Who else?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:07:33 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Sound United to Purchase Onkyo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Or, maybe they will be less expensive due to economies of scale ? Hard to say. One can always hope. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:28:49 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
I suppose the optimist in me wants that to be true, but this company purchased Onkyo in an attempt to make more money. We'll see how things pan out.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
The big keep getting bigger. There's always Anthem :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »
The big keep getting bigger. There's always Anthem :)
Anthem isn't a stand-alone company, are they? Aren't they part of the same group as Paradigm. 

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 11:25:36 PM »
Anthem isn't a stand-alone company, are they? Aren't they part of the same group as Paradigm.
Yes...but not Sound United ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:47 PM »
I forgot about Anthem. They're a great alternative too. Maybe things aren't quite as bleak as I thought. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
I forgot about Anthem. They're a great alternative too. Maybe things aren't quite as bleak as I thought.
I've owned a few Onyko and Integra products over the years. I must say that after buying my current Anthem preamp, I can't see me going back.

Anthem takes it to a whole other level of refinement and a much better implementation of room correction, with ARC.

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »
I am going to Sound United's North American Dealer conference Monday. I wonder if this will be discussed, as in new lines/products?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal