Godzilla (UHD Blu-ray) review

Godzilla (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: May 13, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »

Studio: Sony Pictures
Release Date: May 14, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
Following French atomic bomb tests in the South Pacific, an unknown creature is spotted passing through the Panama Canal. Scientist Niko Tatopolous is called in to investigate the matter, and he quickly arrives at the conclusion that a giant, irradiated lizard has been created by the explosions. Godzilla® then makes its way north, landing in Manhattan to begin wreaking havoc in the big city.

My Thoughts
There’s no doubt about it, Director Roland Emmerich knows how to do disaster films. Whether it’s Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, or the purpose of this review, Godzilla, his films are always entertaining as long as you have the ability to check your brain at the door. But entertaining and good are too different things. I don’t consider this to be a very good movie—the dialog is a bit cheesy, the special effects look dated (especially in 4K), and there are a number of roll your eyes moments, but that’s OK. He makes his films for fans and not for the Academy Award voters, which is probably why most of his films surpass $100 million at the box office.
Sony generally does a great job with its 4K restorations and this is another stellar entry into the format. Colors are vastly improved over the 2009 Blu-ray and the detail is also much sharper. The film will test your black levels since most of the nighttime shots are quite dark. The Dolby Atmos track is a demo showpiece from beginning to end and if you like LFE, it will certainly be a crowd pleaser. The overhead effects are put to good use with ample rainfall, thunder, and of course, helicopter flyovers.

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Visual Effects Commentary
  • Behind the Scenes of Godzilla with Charles Caiman
  • All-Tim Best-of Godzilla Fight Scenes
  • “Heroes” Music Video by The Wallflowers
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I consider this film to be a guilty pleasure—much like other Emmerich movies. It’s a great way to escape reality and have a fun night of mindless entertainment. Throw in an excellent 4K video encode and a kick-ass Atmos track and you end up with an easy reason to upgrade over the 2009 Blu-ray. Recommended.

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Godzilla (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Thanks for the review. I remember seeing this one in the theater long time ago. Will have to revisit this one.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Re: Godzilla (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »
Greetings,

We are on the same page here Dave. This one is high on both campiness and fun. I still enjoy revisiting it... :)

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal