The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (UHD Blu-ray) review

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: May 7, 2019
Rating: PG
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
It’s been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are now facing a huge new threat: LEGO DUPLO® invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than it can be rebuilt. The battle to defeat the invaders and restore harmony to the LEGO universe will take Emmet (Chris Pratt), Lucy (Elizabeth Banks), Batman (Will Arnett) and their friends to faraway, unexplored worlds, including a galaxy filled with fantastic planets, strange characters and catchy new songs. It will test their courage, creativity and Master Building skills, and reveal just how special they really are.

My Thoughts
I really enjoyed the first film and looked forward to seeing the sequel—or “The Second Part.” I was a bit disappointed in the way the film began, mainly due to the frenetic nature of the storytelling. Some of the jokes fall flat and character development is lacking. Fortunately, the second and third acts redeem the overall experience and makes is worth watching.

The A/V quality is excellent, especially the Dolby Atmos track which is very active and contains some intense LFE. In fact, if you want to give your subwoofer a good workout, this will certainly do the trick. The video is sourced from 2K and upscaled to 4K, but the colors have slightly more punch on the UHD versus the BD.

Video 9/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Everything is Awesome Sign-along
  • Commentary
  • They Come in Pieces: Assembling The LEGO Movie 2
  • Emmet’s Holiday Party: A LEGO Movie Short
  • LEGO Sets in Action
  • LEGO Designers
  • Outtakes & Deleted Scenes
  • Super Cool Music Video
  • Promotional Spot
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
As far as sequels go, this one checks all of the right boxes. It’s funny, entertaining, and sounds amazing on UHD. If you’re a fan of the franchise, definitely check it out. Recommended.

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the review. We saw the first one in the theater and loved it.

We also saw this one but to me, it didn't really improve much from the first.

kids loved it and that is the main thing.

:)

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. While not quite as "Awesome" as its predecessor, there's enough slapstick and pointed references here to keep things afloat.

Regards,

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:27:18 PM »
Saw this in the theater. The first one was a big and pleasant surprise to me. I've enjoyed the Lego movies (haven't seen the Ninjago one yet) overall. This one was a bit weird to me as I recall in that there was a pretty dark theme early (and was revisited later) that just seemed a little out of sync or out of place. Otherwise it was more of the same - enjoyable fast paced comedic animated material.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal