AVS Discussions
  Go Down

To Buy or Not to Buy~ That is the Question

Spike

To Buy or Not to Buy~ That is the Question
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Hello Everyone,

In the past, I've always upgraded from one DVD player to the next right up and through the recently previous Blu Ray Player technology. With the ability to stream video becoming so popular, I'm wondering and would appreciate your advice.  What do you think, is it still worth having a Disc Player from the currently newest 4K UltraHD Blu-Ray product line?  And if so, do any of you have any insight as to which companies are currently producing them and which of those is the best way to go, if getting one is the thing to do?  Hey, I appreciate any insights that you might have.  Thanks

Spike
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:36:14 PM by Spike »
Cubs Fan Since Birth! Finally Rewarded.. Go Cubs!
Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
Favorite Streaming Service: Deezer through Heos

AVSMike

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy~ That is the Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
If you want the best video and audio quality and the latest audio codecs, then disc is the only way to go. If you want Atmos, then 4K disc is getting to be a must have. I have my order in for the new Oppo 203.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
Hello Everyone,

In the past, I've always upgraded from one DVD player to the next right up and through the recently previous Blu Ray Player technology. With the ability to stream video becoming so popular, I'm wondering and would appreciate your advice.  What do you think, is it still worth having a Disc Player from the currently newest 4K UltraHD Blu-Ray product line?  And if so, do any of you have any insight as to which companies are currently producing them and which of those is the best way to go, if getting one is the thing to do?  Hey, I appreciate any insights that you might have.  Thanks

Spike

What Mike said. Current 4K BR players -

Panasonic DMP-UB900 - best available right now.

OPPO UDP-203 - available soon. Anticipated to be as good or better than the Panasonic.

Samsung UBD-K8500 - cheap, and it works, that's all I'll say.

Philips BDP7501 

Microsoft Xbox One S

Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Spike

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »

OPPO UDP-203 - available soon. Anticipated to be as good or better than the Panasonic.

Philips BDP7501 

Microsoft Xbox One S

Thanks to those of you that posted.. I really appreciate your insight.  Actually there are more here than I thought there would be.  You two have given me something to really think about here.  I was leaning toward not purchasing one of these, but... *GULP* I can feel the A/V itch creeping into my crawl.  And we all know what that means. Hey, thanks again to both of you.  Now I have some place to start in terms of comparing the models you two have listed.  I think I've found my new A/V home.  I love this place already!  Oh, are those new drapes? GRIN
Cubs Fan Since Birth! Finally Rewarded.. Go Cubs!
Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
Favorite Streaming Service: Deezer through Heos

claw

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:46:50 PM »

Philips BDP7501 
Microsoft Xbox One S
Rumors are that LG will introduce the UP970 UHD Blu-ray player at CES.   It may be the first player to include Dolby Vision support.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »
Rumors are that LG will introduce the UP970 UHD Blu-ray player at CES.   It may be the first player to include Dolby Vision support.

Do any of the 170 4K UHD Blu Rays either already released, or announced to be released, have Dolby Vision ? I don't think so. Maybe DV will make it into the 8K specification. It's late to the party.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
Didn't Sony announce that they would be including DV on UHD BR later this year?   That is why it is perplexing why their X800 player didn't include DV, but perhaps their X1000 will.  Also their high end panels include DV which would be odd that you would need to buy another brand to play a Sony DV UHD disc on a Sony DV flat panel.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Didn't Sony announce that they would be including DV on UHD BR later this year?   That is why it is perplexing why their X800 player didn't include DV, but perhaps their X1000 will.  Also their high end panels include DV which would be odd that you would need to buy another brand to play a Sony DV UHD disc on a Sony DV flat panel.

I don't see Sony on the ones listed here -

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/pf-usa/Philips/Dolby/Dolby_Vision/Ultra_HD/4K/ultra-hd-bluray-players/hdr/price/ces-2017/ces-2017-pf-usa-announces-new-philips-branded-ultra-hd-bluray-player-with-dolby-vision-support/37681

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
It still seems odd to me that the Sony 1000 or whatever the flagship is won't get DV. I mean they made the decision to make all their 2017 displays DV, but your first UHD player wont be. Very odd...

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »
It still seems odd to me that the Sony 1000 or whatever the flagship is won't get DV. I mean they made the decision to make all their 2017 displays DV, but your first UHD player wont be. Very odd...

I have no clue why. And I have no clue if DV HDR will really be any better than HDR10, for projectors.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:57 AM »
I just purchased the Oppo. Plugged it in to make sure it wasn't DOA, and then packed it back up for my home theater reveal coming in the next couple months. I believe in the solid rep they've earned, and I feel confident that by the time I need it, any major quirks will be worked out! Now, to get my projector, receiver, and screen........... :-X :-X :-X

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
I don't see Sony on the ones listed here -

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/pf-usa/Philips/Dolby/Dolby_Vision/Ultra_HD/4K/ultra-hd-bluray-players/hdr/price/ces-2017/ces-2017-pf-usa-announces-new-philips-branded-ultra-hd-bluray-player-with-dolby-vision-support/37681

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/Dolby/Dolby_Vision/hdr/high-dynamic-range/expanded-colors/4K/Ultra_HD/Streaming/dolby-sony-partner-on-dolby-vision-ultra-hd-titles-with-hdr-and-expanded-colors/25935

This is where I first seen sony and dv, there was a more recent release stating that Sony would be releasing titles with DV later in 2017, just can't trace back to it yet.  Any yes there is no information about DV and the X1000, I was speculating that it would make sense for Sony to have a player, at least with its flagship high priced one,  with DV, since it has TVs with DV, and it will release discs with DV.  Unless they are planning a new player in the fall when they do release the UHD discs with DV.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
I have no clue why. And I have no clue if DV HDR will really be any better than HDR10, for projectors.

Yes, that is the $64,000 question!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal