AVS Discussions
  Go Down

A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery

Barry

A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:38:57 PM »
      < A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery: Season 1

“Streaming the final frontier: These are the voyages of the sixth or seventh Starship Enterprise. Its reoccurring mission, to revisit strange few worlds, to seek out familiar life and civilizations, to boldly go where Shatner, Nimoy, and Patrick Stewart had all gone before!!!!!!!!”

I was NOT really looking forward to Discovery. As our photographic and CGI technology gets better Star Trek should be placed further and further in the future.  Instead, in three last THREE incarnations of Star Trek (Enterprise, The new movies and Discovery) the stories are set backwards in time, where every man has gone before. Discovery and Enterprise look far more advanced than the original Star Trek, yet they take place earlier.

And instead of giving us something original, with new characters, as the Next Generation did, I keep feeling that I have seen this stuff before.

Star Trek Discovery is just another rewriting of the Star Trek Saga with a new cast.  On all Star Trek’s the Captain, foolishly, goes on away missions that his crew should do. There is an acknowledgement of that here and the show will be centered around the “first officer” who will go on all these missions. (By the way, there was a mention of that in the pilot of Star Trek TNG)

The first episode has the first officer encountering the Klingons (using a scene right out of Star Trek the Motion Picture) and then the Klingons attacking.

Gosh, I have seen this before, but this time with better special effects and make-up. Oh, somehow diversity is now what makes something “new.” That is, you can do the same old thing with a diverse crew and its “new” again.
A disappointment for me is that I like Star Trek episodic, with continuity. I personally, am not a fan of 12 hour movies. For that reason I am not a fan of Deep Space Nine.

CBS is giving us a signal though, that adult dramas will no longer be on the broadcast network, nor will they be on their pay cable station Showtime, where this show belongs. I don’t see myself paying $50-100 a year for a few of these shows.

I do have this on Blu-Ray. The picture and sound are terrific.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:41:33 PM »
Thanks for the review Barry. I will skip this version. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the review Barry. I will skip this version. :)
Smart move!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Zero desire to watch this series. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
You guys are really missing out.  Especially in Season 2 it really took off and also synced up with canon.  Season 3 and beyond will be extremely unique and new due to the ending of season 2.  Just a tip, I've heard if you sign up for All Access you get a one week trial before billing.  So you could potentially binge the first two seasons then shut it off before being billed at all if you're worried about cost.
LG 65" CX OLED | Denon AVR-X4500H | Panasonic UB820 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | 2021 Apple TV 4K | Xfinity X1 DVR

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
I was able to watch the first season, piggy-backing on my daughter's CBS All-access (part of her cord-cutting).  I actually thought it was pretty decent, with some good characters and plot twists.

I would like to watch the second season, but there's a cheap, stubborn part of me that refuses to pay the $6/month, or whatever they are now charging, for this privilege.  I guess for me, with regard to the proliferation and splintering up of paid content, it's

The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal