AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Thor Ragnorok, a review

Barry

Thor Ragnorok, a review
« on: March 30, 2019, 11:38:16 PM »
I first saw Thor Ragnarok in Imax, 3D. I enjoyed the movie very much, it was a fun ride. The 3D added to the enjoyment, it does not always.  The surround sound was very good.
Just a small announced spoiler at the end.
As the movie opens, Thor has a funny encounter with Sultur, the Fire Demon. The previous Thor movies have been successful, but not as successful as some of the other in the Marvel Universe. So there is a definite effort to change the character, played well this time by Chris Hemsworth, into something more relatable and human. He quickly loses his hammer and gets a haircut and develops a sense of humor that follow s him through the movie.

There are two major plots: First, Thor older sister, Hela, the Goddess of Death, plans to take over Asgard now that Odin has croaked. She is skillfully and Marvelous played by Cate Blanchett. The beginning and final part of the movie concentrates on that.

Second Plot: Thor is shanghaied to a distant planet, ruled by The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum) where he must, as a gladiator, fight the Hulk.  This is reminiscent of the successful comic series, “Planet Hulk.” (A sidebar: There will be no Hulk movie. While Marvel owns the right s to the character and can use him, Universal still holds the rights to the movie distribution).

Tom Huddleston is back as Loki messing up everything Thor tries to do.  Frankly, he as before, almost steals the movie as he is so much fun to watch.  But Goldblum and Blanchett are also wonderful.

There is a ton of action and suspense all of it totally ludicrous, impossible, sometimes predictable, but always fun. Idris Elba appears a Heimdall and ther is a great, funny and totally appropriate cameo by Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Stay till the very end, there are two scenes during the credits.

It looks and sounds incredible on the 4k disc

Small spoiler:
The movie ends with the Asgardians looking for a new home. This happened recently in the comics here they found their new home on Earth.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Thor Ragnorok, a review
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »
My biggest gripe with this film is that it's almost too funny, which became a distraction for me. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
A battle between The Hulk and Thor? I've never witnessed anything more unbelievable. ::)

It was an entertaining flick. I have watched it several times although it is not one of my favorite Superhero films.

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the movie when it was playing.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal