AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald (UHD Blu-ray) review

Plot
At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.
In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

My Thoughts
 This was one of the few movies I went to see in the theaters last year and found it to be somewhat middling on my first viewing. In fact, I fell asleep at one point because the story just didn’t keep me engaged. Upon a second viewing, it improved a little bit, but not much. It’s very predictable and while I like how they integrate Dumbledore into the story, I felt the narrative was a bit forced and served more as a point to set up future movies than to tell a full story in this installment. As expected, it ends in somewhat of a cliffhanger so we can run back to the theaters in 2020.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

Blu-ray
  • J.K Rowling: A World Revealed
  • Wizards on Screen, Fans in Real Life
  • Distinctly Dumbledore
  • Unlocking Scene Secrets

• The Return to Hogwarts
    • Net’s Menagerie
    • Credence, Nagini and the Circus Arcanus
    • Paris and Place Cachée
    • Ministere des Affaires Magiques
    • Grindelwald’s Escape and the Ring of Fire
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital Copy

Conclusion
Written by J.K. Rowling herself, you got to hand it to the author on weaving a complicated tale that drives people to the theaters, but this series doesn’t have the magic that Harry Potter brought to the masses. This installment lays a foundation for future films and it was entertaining, but it’s not something that sticks with you for very long. The presentation is extremely good, so that’s enough reason to give it at least one viewing. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:22:51 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:19:08 PM »
The wife and I are huge fans of the Harry Potter series and had high hopes for this spin-off. 

Honestly, we thought that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was just OK.  I'm not sure why, but I couldn't make a good connection with the characters. We blind bought the Blu-ray and I don't think we've watched it more than twice. In contrast, we've rewatched the HP series many times, in addition to rereading the books.

We haven't watched The Crimes of Grindelwald yet but I like the introduction of Dumbledore and the tie to the HP series. At this point, I may just rent it from Redbox and see how we like it.

Thanks for the review, David.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:37 AM »
Must have been some really comfortable seats in that theater!

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »
Thanks for the review. We are also fans of the Harry Potter series and have enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts as well. We saw the first one in theater and loved it and didn't have the time to check this one out. Will take a look.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
Thanks for the review. We are also fans of the Harry Potter series and have enjoyed the Fantastic Beasts as well. We saw the first one in theater and loved it and didn't have the time to check this one out. Will take a look.
Let me know what you think...my daughter liked it a lot, but she's as big of Harry Potter fan you'll ever meet (she has her own robe and multiple wands--and no, she's not 12, she's 22!). 
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
I know the feeling. Both my kids got the wands and the robe and the tie and whatever else they could get their hands on when we went to Universal Studios few years back.. Harry Potter Universe!

Will check it out soon. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSMike

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
Let me know what you think...my daughter liked it a lot, but she's as big of Harry Potter fan you'll ever meet (she has her own robe and multiple wands--and no, she's not 12, she's 22!).
Mine is 24 and has a wand also. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
I may have to get this. I've enjoyed the HP stuff and my wife loves it. We've both read the books and I have the 4K set of the HP movies, just re-watched them all late last year. This is one of the few things she wanted to go to the theater for. We went to a 3D showing and unfortunately ended up in the very back row of seats (which was fine with her as she doesn't like being very close, whereas I do), so I was in a real funk and didn't really watch it. So I've attended but not seen it, lol.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »
Speaker of Harry Potter and Wands, this is a minor, but important theme, quite unexpected, in the movie The Hate U Give.  Just watched that last night, and enjoyed it on many levels.

I don't know if this is on your list, Dave, but I'd highly recommend it.

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
I saw the movie and just loved it, the computer graphics are amazing and it is a nice story about staying true to one's values. Highly recommend this movie
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
I saw the movie and just loved it, the computer graphics are amazing and it is a nice story about staying true to one's values. Highly recommend this movie
Laurie,

You fall into the same camp as my daughter. She loved it as well. I didn't hate it, but it didn't have the same effect on me. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
We are going to watch this one tonight. The wife and I agreed it was a good night for some light entertainment. Nothing too serious or deep. I bet Crimes of Grindelwald fits the bill.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal