AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Been here for a while

Been here for a while
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
I joined the forum back in 2016 when invited by Mike and Craig, but rarely posted due to commitments in other places. Well, I just freed up some time and will be lurking and posting here on most days. 

My love of movies started when I was 8 and saw Star Wars in theaters...wow, what an experience. I've loved them ever since. Back in 2004, I was asked by Kris Deering if I wanted to review movies with him on the now closed website, www.hometheaterspot.com. Two years after that, I was recruited to do equipment reviews for www.ultimateavmag.com, which merged with www.hometheatermag.com, which is now www.soundandvision.com. I've been writing for the print magazine for the past 13 or so years writing movie and equipment reviews. My favorite types are movies and subwoofers--who doesn't love good bass?

When Home Theater Spot was sold to Home Theater Equipment, I continued to write Blu-ray reviews (and then UHD Blu-ray reviews) there, but the site closed down today, 3/26/2019, so from today forward, I'll be posting reviews of discs here...please drop into the review section and say hello and let me know whether you like, or dislike, a particular review. I don't get paid for the reviews I do online, although I do get the movies sent to me from the studios due to longstanding relationships that I've built over the years with the varying PR agencies and publicity departments at the major studios. 

I attempt to review as many new releases as possible and the occasional "hot" catalog title that gets rereleased on UHD to let you know whether I think an upgrade is worth the $$$. Anyway, thanks to Craig for welcoming me to post my reviews here and I look forward to everyone's feedback. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Been here for a while
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:19:03 PM »
For those who don't know David, he's legit. 

I have enjoyed his reviews (both software and hardware) since the early 2000s. Although he does cover the usual topics of audio and video quality but also character development, story flow, and even the editing (or lack thereof). His equipment is always top notch so if he makes a comment about AV quality, he's fully qualified on the gear end.

I look forward to reading more of your reviews. 

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:19:44 PM »
Thanks Tracy :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
Welcome!

That will add more activity and some variety here! :)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
Welcome!

That will add more activity and some variety here! :)
Looking forward to it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »
Interesting to learn more about you!  I had participated in the Home Theater Spot many years ago, and wondered whatever became of them, as I drifted off into other interests for a number of years (computers, digital photography, not to mention my day job!).

I've enjoyed your reviews and look forward to more of them!

Don

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:27:21 PM »
Thanks Don. I love all your posts about calibration. You and Manni are great assets for us JVC owners.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:30 PM »
Thanks Don. I love all your posts about calibration. You and Manni are great assets for us JVC owners.
You must be confusing me with someone who actually *knows* something!! :P

I'm just good at asking hopefully useful questions!

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
You're much too humble :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal