AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Has anyone fitted this fabric to a Screen Research masking screen?

bobof

There are a couple of things I don't like about the Screen Research Clearpix4K fabric in my electric mask screen:
1) I catch glimpses of the odd fleck of reflective sparkle in the material every so often from certain angles
2) Texture is a bit strong for how close I'd like to sit to try to sit to the screen from immersion point of view (very small room)
Has anyone retrofitted one of these screens with V6 fabric?  How did it go?
It's an ETC Supreme E-mask (no longer with Somfy motors, now with NICE): http://www.screenresearch.com/website/documents/install_current/fixed_mask/ETC-Installation-Manual-SOMFY-rev2-2017.pdf

I'd prefer an install method that didn't involve gluing to the frame - is there any way to have the screen fabric prepared with seams for rods?  The screen material is attached with springs to an aluminium subframe behind the mask frame.

AVSMike

Re: Has anyone fitted this fabric to a Screen Research masking screen?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:17:27 AM »
There are a couple of things I don't like about the Screen Research Clearpix4K fabric in my electric mask screen:
1) I catch glimpses of the odd fleck of reflective sparkle in the material every so often from certain angles
2) Texture is a bit strong for how close I'd like to sit to try to sit to the screen from immersion point of view (very small room)
Has anyone retrofitted one of these screens with V6 fabric?  How did it go?
It's an ETC Supreme E-mask (no longer with Somfy motors, now with NICE): http://www.screenresearch.com/website/documents/install_current/fixed_mask/ETC-Installation-Manual-SOMFY-rev2-2017.pdf

I'd prefer an install method that didn't involve gluing to the frame - is there any way to have the screen fabric prepared with seams for rods?  The screen material is attached with springs to an aluminium subframe behind the mask frame.

I can't quite tell, but I suspect that you could. Need to see if you have a place to attach a 5/8" wide grip rail to the frame.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bobof

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:40 AM »
I can't quite tell, but I suspect that you could. Need to see if you have a place to attach a 5/8" wide grip rail to the frame.
The manual isn't a great help as not all the pics are specific to this frame setup it seems.

Does the grip rail have to be placed on the front face of the frame, or can it go on the perpendicular face (ie at 90 degrees to the screen surface?).

The screen surface at the mo is mounted to the subframe shown, and ends up very close to the masks.  It is pulled over the extrusion and tensioned on the sides. 

If I can't do this (pull the fabric over the sides and attach perpendicular to the viewing surface) then I'd have to demount the screen surface to see what is involves as I can't find a good picture of the front of the extrusion profile.  Will do some more digging. 

As this screen is I guess a bit more common here in Europe perhaps @lygren has seen one before.

The attachment does look accurate.  The screen surface shown goes towards the mask, and the subframe rear face is bolted to the mask frame back edge.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »
The manual isn't a great help as not all the pics are specific to this frame setup it seems.

Does the grip rail have to be placed on the front face of the frame, or can it go on the perpendicular face (ie at 90 degrees to the screen surface?).

The screen surface at the mo is mounted to the subframe shown, and ends up very close to the masks.  It is pulled over the extrusion and tensioned on the sides. 

If I can't do this (pull the fabric over the sides and attach perpendicular to the viewing surface) then I'd have to demount the screen surface to see what is involves as I can't find a good picture of the front of the extrusion profile.  Will do some more digging. 

As this screen is I guess a bit more common here in Europe perhaps @lygren has seen one before.

The attachment does look accurate.  The screen surface shown goes towards the mask, and the subframe rear face is bolted to the mask frame back edge.

I have not seen a Screen Research retrofit (they are not that common in Europe either...), but as long as you can find a 14mm / 9/16" slot somewhere you should be able to use the slim universal grip rail. As for attaching the rails a strong construction glue works best, and please let it dry for a good while. Mounting over the sides should not be a problem.

If you are using the new grip rails AVScience now carries I would recommend using the new custom tool they have been supplied with for tucking the fabric (the UltraTucker) as the new rail has a bit stiffer tension in its grip portion.

You might consider asking AVScience if they can ship you a sample of the rail if possible.

Good luck, I am sure you will be very pleased with the upgrade once installed! :)
Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!

Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »

Yes it can. That is how I have it on my masking frame. Could not go on the face, because it would have interfered with the masking panels as they moved.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
I have not seen a Screen Research retrofit (they are not that common in Europe either...), but as long as you can find a 14mm / 9/16" slot somewhere you should be able to use the slim universal grip rail. As for attaching the rails a strong construction glue works best, and please let it dry for a good while. Mounting over the sides should not be a problem.

If you are using the new grip rails AVScience now carries I would recommend using the new custom tool they have been supplied with for tucking the fabric (the UltraTucker) as the new rail has a bit stiffer tension in its grip portion.

You might consider asking AVScience if they can ship you a sample of the rail if possible.

Good luck, I am sure you will be very pleased with the upgrade once installed! :)

Bobof is located in the UK.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
Bobof is located in the UK.

OK, got it, our newly appointed UK distributor can probably arrange samples in such case: https://dreamscreen.no/pages/distributors. :)
Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!

Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

bobof

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »
Yes it can. That is how I have it on my masking frame. Could not go on the face, because it would have interfered with the masking panels as they moved.
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.  How did you approach the corners?  Did you cut the fabric across the corner at 45 degrees, or do you have the fabric "folded double" at the corner?

OK, got it, our newly appointed UK distributor can probably arrange samples in such case: https://dreamscreen.no/pages/distributors. :)

Thanks, I hadn't realised they were distributing your product.  Matthew and I move in some very similar circles (we're connected via Linkedin).  I might well get in touch with him at some point soon.

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.  How did you approach the corners?  Did you cut the fabric across the corner at 45 degrees, or do you have the fabric "folded double" at the corner?

Thanks, I hadn't realised they were distributing your product.  Matthew and I move in some very similar circles (we're connected via Linkedin).  I might well get in touch with him at some point soon.

I ran the grip rail to the corner, until they touched. Then I just tucked the fabric in each way, to the corner. The fabric in my corners look perfect. See two pictures. One before trim and second completed.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

bobof

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 02:39:15 AM »
I ran the grip rail to the corner, until they touched. Then I just tucked the fabric in each way, to the corner. The fabric in my corners look perfect. See two pictures. One before trim and second completed.
Cheers Mike, that looks spot-on.  I'll have to get a sample to see how it compares to what is on the screen at the moment.

AVSMike

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »
Excellent fabric. I like it much better than the EN4K it replaced. Also note, my screen is a curved powered masking screen. My install was easy, so a flat screen should be even easier. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:49:57 AM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal