AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Crimson Mounts

AVSMike

Crimson Mounts
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
We have carried Chief mounts for many years, but the price on the Chief mounts keeps slowly creeping up. Chief just had a price increase December 1st. MSRP for an RPMA mount is now $264. With that in mind we have been looking at other options to offer. That brings us to Crimson mounts. I have a sample of the JR3XL. Nice sturdy mount, rated for 70lb. It has gear adjustment and a separate mounting plate to attach to the projector.

The mount works for a spacing up to 15" x 15" (379.74mm x 379.74mm). Currently the mounts come with universal mounting arms, but we are in discussions with Crimson in regards to offering custom plates for some models. The mounts are made of nice heavy aluminum casting, with gear adjustment. Looks like a good product. Like the Chief mounts, the Crimson is threaded to attach to 1.5" ID drop tubes. One nice feature of the JR3, it has two mounting holes, so can be attached directly to a single ceiling joist. When attached this way, you still have a geared adjustment knob to adjust rotation and of course, geared adjustment knobs for pitch and yaw. Once set, everything can be locked down with allen screws.

I will switch out my mount and report what I think of this new mount.
Crimson link: http://crimsonav.com/
JR3KL link: http://crimsonav.com/product-type/projector-mounts/ceiling/jr3xl.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:45:16 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

Re: Crimson Mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
I hate universal plates, so I modified my Chief custom plate so that it could be used with the Crimson mount. Between modifying the plate and because I use an A-lens, this took me quite a while to reinstall everything.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:24:17 PM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
You can at least see the knobs for adjustment like my Peerless!

Never could find a drawing or parts blowup or picture that showed the gears on the Chief!!

I like to see/know how things work. Thanks for the information.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »
This is why I've always been an advocate for shelf mounting! Though I understand not all installations allow for such things. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about ceiling mounts.

I'm sure these Crimson mounts will work wonderfully as a cheaper replacement. :)
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
You can at least see the knobs for adjustment like my Peerless!

Never could find a drawing or parts blowup or picture that showed the gears on the Chief!!

I like to see/know how things work. Thanks for the information.

The Chief does not have knobs. I guess they decided on a cleaner look or wanted to make it so that people could not just reach up and turn knobs. You can look into the adjustment screw hole and see the gear. You adjust it by sticking a #2 phillips screwdriver in the hole and rotate the gear.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
This is why I've always been an advocate for shelf mounting! Though I understand not all installations allow for such things. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about ceiling mounts.

I'm sure these Crimson mounts will work wonderfully as a cheaper replacement. :)

I have a shelf mount in my family room setup and both ceiling and shelf mount in my dedicated room. I have always found that a gear adjustable ceiling mount was much easier to alighn the projector with the screen.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
This seems like a really well made, sturdy projector mount.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
I like the adjustment knobs and the set screws.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
I did not try out the universal arms, as I don't have a suitable projector here.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 12:19:09 AM »
Can’t for the life of me get the little bastard grub screw to turn and lock the 3 way head to my double nipple pipe. None of the 3 hex keys they sent seem to fit in there. Anyone know the size and if I can grab one at Home Depot???

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 12:41:40 AM »
Nm I figured it must be a safety torx and found an ancient tool kit that had one in there. Crazy all the stuff you need these crimson sets don’t come with. 

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 07:13:09 AM »
Well that is unexpected. I am waiting on an NZ9 but already have the JR3 mount with JVC plate.

Can someone provide the specifics on what other tools I will need that aren't supplied with the mount? I would have expected it to come with everything needed, but if that's not the case, at least I have some time to purchase the extras.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
Well that is unexpected. I am waiting on an NZ9 but already have the JR3 mount with JVC plate.

Can someone provide the specifics on what other tools I will need that aren't supplied with the mount? I would have expected it to come with everything needed, but if that's not the case, at least I have some time to purchase the extras.
The wrench is supposed to be in the box. If you did not get one, email us and and we will send a wrench.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:18 PM »
The wrench is supposed to be in the box. If you did not get one, email us and and we will send a wrench.
Thanks Craig. I've attached a photo of the parts other than the mount and JVC plate. Is this all that should be there?

Also, I imagine it'll be somewhat self-explanatory whenever I get to setting it up, but is there a PDF of instructions in case there is any uncertainty? I didn't see any printed document.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:30:06 PM »
The instruction manual is here. 

JR3 (crimsonav.com)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal