AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Maticrom Boxes

Maticrom Boxes
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
I have been seeing some people talking about using a Maticrom box to watch tv, movies pretty much whatever your looking for and all it requires is an internet connection. Does anyone have any experience with one of these and if so what kind of quality is the content?

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Re: Maticrom Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
These are just generic XBMC/Kodi boxes aren't they?
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
To the best of my knowledge yes, it seems to be the most common way I am seeing people utilize Kodi. I haven't really explored it much but as a possible cable alternative the idea is intriguing.

NBPk402

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
I run Kodi on several boxes throughout our house. I have a couple of Android boxes, and 2 I3 NUCs...one running linux, and the other running windows. I also have Plex Media, and i like Kodi much better graphically, but recently I installed the Plex plugin so now I can pause my media and resume in another room. With the Plex Media plug in though it is a learning curve (once again) to using Kodi as it changes the way a lot of things are done. Give Kodi a shot on your windows desktop and see what you think. ;) I do know that most of my friends are happy with Kodi, and it is free software too. :)
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
I think tonight if I have some free time I will give it another shot, Kodi that is. I watched a couple movies on it before and they were good quality, I havent done anything with tv shows or live sports. The sports are what I would most like to be able to watch, I just dont know any good addons for sports. I have looked at some forums to see what people reccomend but I have not had much success in that department. Seeing as I do most of my viewing through netflix and HBO subscriptions Im pretty well covered for movies and tv shows, but like I said my sports viewing options are limited even with a cable subscription.

NBPk402

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »
I have 3 Silicone Dust HDhomerun Dual tuners that I use for time shifting OTA. For cable channels they have a tuner that I believe is called Prime or Premium. Since I don't have cable I can't attest to how well it works, but I can say the newer tuners I bought from Silicone Dust are very easy to install in Kodi.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
Im trying to avoid adding anymore equipment to my setup so I will try the wookie addon and I am also going to try the ares build to see if it will meet my live sports needs. If it doesnt the tuner you mentioned keeps popping up in kodi feeds I am reading so if I need to I will probably go that route unless I can use an older tivo for a tuner. Ill tinker with it tonight, hopefully I can get my live tv and sports via addons. The info online is very conflicting regarding this though, many people are saying you need some sort of back end tuner running with a front end interface downloadable through Kodi while others say there are addons that will habdle it. After some trial and error I think Ill have a better idea of what I need to do.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal