AVS Discussions
  Go Down

What should I be looking for in a projector?

Harro

« on: July 10, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
I will be looking at a projector later in the year and am wondering what I will need for a hassle free movie/Tv experience.
 I will want one that can play 4k but most of my media is 1080 now.
My throw distance will be 14 ft max and I have already wired in the outlet, trigger wire and fiber optic hdmi cable. Screen is a 110" electric. I can go ceiling mount or shelf mount.
This is what I am dealing with.
https://i.imgur.com/cWvZPKGl.jpg
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:26:12 PM by Harro »

Re: What should I be looking for in a projector?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »
I'm assuming 110" diagonal and the aspect ratio is 16/9? Assiming that, pretty much any projector you can find that has a throw ratio of 1.75 or lower will work just fine with a 14 foot throw. Luckily pretty much all home theater projectors discussed here will fit into that category.

What is your budget? If most of your media is 1080p still but want 4K functionality with HDR. Your best option would be a current year JVC eshift projector. Which model to choose depends on your budget.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Harro

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
I'm assuming 110" diagonal and the aspect ratio is 16/9? Assiming that, pretty much any projector you can find that has a throw ratio of 1.75 or lower will work just fine with a 14 foot throw. Luckily pretty much all home theater projectors discussed here will fit into that category.

What is your budget? If most of your media is 1080p still but want 4K functionality with HDR. Your best option would be a current year JVC eshift projector. Which model to choose depends on your budget.
Yes 110 diagonal and 16/9
Budget is 5k or less.
My last projector from years ago which I gave away was an Epson 8350 from a sale bundle. That was my first and only projector I have owned. have been without  a projector for 5 years now. I liked it but thought it was weak in the picture quality.
This time around I am looking at getting something that will last but also look stunning. Most of my media is streamed from my Nas if that is of any concern for a projector.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
I don't know current pricing but I would imagine an RS540 could be had close to your budget. The RS440 is also amazing, but if you can swing it, the RS540 would be my recommendation. Raw image quality on the JVC eshifters beats Sony's $25000 VW885ES in my opinion.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
Yes 110 diagonal and 16/9
Budget is 5k or less.
My last projector from years ago which I gave away was an Epson 8350 from a sale bundle. That was my first and only projector I have owned. have been without  a projector for 5 years now. I liked it but thought it was weak in the picture quality.
This time around I am looking at getting something that will last but also look stunning. Most of my media is streamed from my Nas if that is of any concern for a projector.

JVC RS540 or B-stock JVC RS640 would give you the best image for the dollar with a 5k budget. Give us a call and we can get you set up. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Harro

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
JVC RS540 or B-stock JVC RS640 would give you the best image for the dollar with a 5k budget. Give us a call and we can get you set up. :)
Wow, received an email with your pricing. Outstanding, but sad as I am not at the point to purchase yet. My time line looks to be Nov-Dec., if you could look into your crystal ball, would you think that some of these deals or others  be available?

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
Wow, received an email with your pricing. Outstanding, but sad as I am not at the point to purchase yet. My time line looks to be Nov-Dec., if you could look into your crystal ball, would you think that some of these deals or others  be available?

No doubt there will be deals available then. Don't order a projector until you are ready to install it - no matter how good a deal.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »

With that time frame, I would get on the preorder list for the new JVC models that should be shipping in December.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal