AVS Discussions
  Go Down

DIY IsolationPplatform

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
DIY IsolationPplatform
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
I am in the process of building a sandbox out of Teak, and MDF. I am using 3 1/2" x 3/4" teak pieces of wood for the basic frame work. The plan is to make a MDF, or plywood base that would seal the bottom of the box off, and then attach that to a piece of slate. The top piece would be MDF with a 1/8" clearance all around. The top piece would have 1" holes drilled in it for tennis balls to rest in. I would make 2 of these MDF pieces with the holes lined up. The first one would set on the sand bed, and the 2nd one would be glued to a piece of slate that would be the size of the entire box. Once the first MDF layer is laid in  place, and leveled the tennis balls would be inserted, and the top layet of MDF, and Slate would be set on top of the tennis balls.

One other thing I am thinking of doing is... notch the rear corner of the platform for the motor on our Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Turntable. I am thinking that the lower piece of slate could extend far enough to  support the motor assembly. I was thinking of building a platform of different materials to bring the motor back up to the stock height via glueing different materials together (or just build another platform, maybe of Teak, and or slate for the motor). My reasoning is that the motor would then be damped separately than the turntable, and the connecting area would be at least 3 1/2" below the motor just like the turntable is. This would give better isolation I am thinking.

Any comments or insight? I would eventually like to expand on this idea, and make a turntable stand that would have the arm, at one level, motor on another, and the table on the upper most top portion, but for now I want to see how this idea goes.

If this is in the wrong location please move.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:18:31 PM by ellisr63 »
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSMike

Re: DIY IsolationPplatform
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »
If you are going to use tennis balls, you should use pressureless ones. WalMart sells them.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=pressureless%20tennis%20balls&cat_id=0
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Re: DIY IsolationPplatform
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
If you are going to use tennis balls, you should use pressureless ones. WalMart sells them.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=pressureless%20tennis%20balls&cat_id=0

Thanks Mike. I was also looking at sorbothane domes which are more expensive but i can get duro 70 which i heard is not as squishy. I also have some Navcom pucks that I have had for years. I am not sure which would be best, but since I already have them it is worth a try.  I am also thinking of dove tailing the base too.

My speaker project just got put on hold as my wife found a house she would like, and my HT would be the living room. It is a bit smaller i think than my last one, but has at least a 18' ceiling. It is a brand new house too. One wall is floor to ceiling glass, and the rear is open to the kitchen and dining room. I figure this ends the idea of making paper mache horns as they would be 3' deep. It also means I cannot have 7 k402 synergy horns Too. I think I can do 5 of them though...unless I wanted to have 4 hanging from the exposed beam ceiling. I am not sure about getting a 100lb plus speaker mounted that high above my head, let alone worrying about them falling. Luckily I still have my 5 JBL surround speakers (around 25lbs each) for ceiling mounting them. We will see how the next few months go beforw i work on the speakers. I will work on the turntable sand box, and finishing my entertainment rack.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal