AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Paper Mache Horns

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Paper Mache Horns
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
While I am waiting for my friend to return this fall to help me make the synergy horns for the theater... I decided to get to work on a pair of speakers for our living room which right now is using my JBL surrounds as main channels. The new speakers will be the Inlow horns. Here is a review on them...http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/paper_mache_horns_e.html

Over the next few weeks I will be gathering the materials to build the turntable assembly for the horn mold. Hopefully I can source most of it close to where we live. I am currently looking at bass bin design for the horns too. I have a few simple designs I am thinking of...

1: 2 15" woofers in a sealed rectangular box which will also hold the horn
2: 1 15" woofer in a sealed square box which will hold the horn.
3: 2 15" woofers in an open baffle array with the horn supported on top of the array

I really like the 2 woofer setup, but I would ideally like to have the center of the horn at ear level, and 2 15" woofers will def put it about 10" too high from a typical seat. Would it work to just aim the center of the horn to ear level at the mlp?
The alternative is to use a singe woofer box, but then I am worried about our cat as the horns are made of paper mache.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:24:10 PM by ellisr63 »
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSMike

Re: Paper Mache Horns
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
Those horns look really interesting. What are you going to use for the high end, since it talks about the horn for the midrange, using a large format compression driver?

Added
At $1,000 each for the finished horn, I see why you are making them, yourself. :) Are you doing your own design or buying the template?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:20:36 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Back years ago when DIY Sound Group was ordering those Auto-Tech horns, I would have loved to have picked up some spherical horns, but I do not have a place to fit that large of a speaker in my house.
http://horns-diy.pl/en/
You have taken on quite an impressive project. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

NBPk402

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »
Those horns look really interesting. What are you going to use for the high end, since it talks about the horn for the midrange, using a large format compression driver?

Added
At $1,000 each for the finished horn, I see why you are making them, yourself. :) Are you doing your own design or buying the template?
I am not sure... they list them going up to 17k which might be enough for me. My JBLs went up to 17k, and I put a 12db shelf on them, and they sounded great. I will see how it goes when I get them made. I purchased the plans for $25. I also am looking at some bass bins too. He said he is working on some bass bins now with 2 JBL 2240 18" drivers in each bass bin. If I like the way they look I will go for the p,lans on those too. The killer will be finding the woofers used as they are over $300 each new from what I have found.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

NBPk402

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
Back years ago when DIY Sound Group was ordering those Auto-Tech horns, I would have loved to have picked up some spherical horns, but I do not have a place to fit that large of a speaker in my house.
http://horns-diy.pl/en/
You have taken on quite an impressive project. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Those are some nice horns you linked to! I have always loved the avante gard look of the round horns...not getting any younger, time to give them a try too!
Yup, these will be for our living room, and then there will be 7 Synergy clone horns for the theater to build. All of the DIY speakers will be active, and most likely have minidsp crossovers. Dirac is on the agenda too. I cant wait to get our new home. I told my wife i want a 4 car garage size for our theater this time.😊
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:00:50 PM by ellisr63 »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal