AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Panamorph Paladin DCR Lens

Re: Panamorph Paladin DCR Lens
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
The Paladin DCR is a great A lens for my Z1 - I only need to get my head around the adjustment process... But Shawn Kelly is very helpful here!

AVSMike

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
@Craig
Thanks!!!

... and I do this *after* installing the lens, right?
Yes, but have to make sure projector is first set up with the screen, so that everything is lined up correctly. Then add the lens.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
Yes, but have to make sure projector is first set up with the screen, so that everything is lined up correctly. Then add the lens.
I sure did so. But I noticed some issues with the white alignment grid in the Z1 menu, where blue and red needs to match the white lines' position. Here, the lens adds some mismatch. But Shawn told me where to start to get rid of those issues...

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2019, 02:21:27 AM »
Is there the perfect hight and tilt angle for the Paladin DCR, that minimizes barrel distortion AND preserves the perfect grid allignment?
I've been experimenting a lot with both but couldn't find the perfect solution yet... Anyone?

AVSMike

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
Is there the perfect hight and tilt angle for the Paladin DCR, that minimizes barrel distortion AND preserves the perfect grid allignment?
I've been experimenting a lot with both but couldn't find the perfect solution yet... Anyone?
Did you use the installation guide?
https://www.panamorph.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Paladin-and-Paladin-DCR-Installation-Guide.pdf
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »
Did you use the installation guide?
Sure I did. Thoroughly.
But I either get better geometry OR better panel alignment. Not both. So I was wondering...

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
Sure I did. Thoroughly.
But I either get better geometry OR better panel alignment. Not both. So I was wondering...
What is your throw ratio ? Are you at minimum throw distance like I am ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
What is your throw ratio ? Are you at minimum throw distance like I am ?
With 1.82:1 I should be fine, I guess...

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »
With 1.82:1 I should be fine, I guess...
Ceiling mounted ? Make sure the " Panamorph " is facing down ( there is a right side up and an upside down ). 
You may need to try raising / lowering the lens, and I'd try mounting it as close to the projector lens as possible. I settled on a perfectly straight bottom of the picture, and a little barrel distortion on the sides. I'm at minimum throw. You'll need to play with it a bit .

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2019, 12:17:17 AM »
You'll need to play with it a bit .
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with the result that I've found after like two full days of "playing" with adjusting the lens position. And I have almost no barrel distortion now.
And I found that keeping the hight of the Paladin as centered to the projector's beam output (not the lens itself) as possible and as little tilt (in relation to the center of the beam itself) as possible is a good start.
But there might be other ideas in this group so I asked...

AVSMike

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with the result that I've found after like two full days of "playing" with adjusting the lens position. And I have almost no barrel distortion now.
And I found that keeping the hight of the Paladin as centered to the projector's beam output (not the lens itself) as possible and as little tilt (in relation to the center of the beam itself) as possible is a good start.
But there might be other ideas in this group so I asked...
A little trick that you can use for DCR lens setup. Slide a piece of copy paper between the projector lens and the DCR lens. That way, you can look into the DCR lens and see exactly where the projector image is hitting on the DCR lens and adjust the DCR lens so that the image is centered on the back glass. Then adjust horizontal angle so that image is centered. Then it is a simple matter of adjusting vertical angle of the lens. I would then go back and check with paper that you are still centered and adjust if needed.

Of course you do not do any of this until after the image without DCR lens is squared up with the screen properly.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
That sounds like a pretty good idea, thanks! I'll give it a try first thing tonight!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
A couple of photos of my DCR lens / mount. Love this lens and the outstanding picture it provides ! 

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
A couple of photos of my DCR lens / mount. Love this lens and the outstanding picture it provides !
Looks great....out of my affordability range at this point :(
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »
Looks great....out of my affordability range at this point :(

You have to recover from the screen cost first. One thing at a time. At least you have a scope screen now, which means you could use one................;)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal