AVS Discussions
  Go Down

RS400 - Manual Aperture Not Working

RS400 - Manual Aperture Not Working
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
I've posted about this before, and will be sending it in for repair shortly.  But since this is a significant hassle, I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I could do to get it working.

I bought the RS400 around May, 2016, and about 11 months later discovered that my Aperture didn't seem to be working.  I can put it in "Manual" mode, and then use the remote to go through the range from 0 to -15, and the on-screen display shows it changing.  But the aperture itself doesn't physically close down.  It seems to just stay in the wide open position.

This is with content from any source: Roku Premiere+, Sony HD BD, Philips UHD BD, etc.

On rare occasions, it does seem to get working again, but most of the time, the aperture stays there.  And if I engage DI, there does seem to be some aperture fluctuation at times, but not much, and not all the time.

It would seem that there is some type of electro-mechanical defect that is causing this.  But given the hassle of getting it down (and then remounted - ceiling mount), shipping it, being without it for a 2-3 weeks, etc., I wanted to post here and see if there might be something else going on.

Is there possibly some setting that could be causing this, some type of conflict?  Anything else I can try to get it working again?

Any ideas appreciated.  I figure I'll have to just suck it up and send it in, but thought I'd pick your collective brains to see if this could somehow be avoided.

Thanks.

Don

AVSMike

Re: RS400 - Manual Aperture Not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
I've posted about this before, and will be sending it in for repair shortly.  But since this is a significant hassle, I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I could do to get it working.

I bought the RS400 around May, 2016, and about 11 months later discovered that my Aperture didn't seem to be working.  I can put it in "Manual" mode, and then use the remote to go through the range from 0 to -15, and the on-screen display shows it changing.  But the aperture itself doesn't physically close down.  It seems to just stay in the wide open position.

This is with content from any source: Roku Premiere+, Sony HD BD, Philips UHD BD, etc.

On rare occasions, it does seem to get working again, but most of the time, the aperture stays there.  And if I engage DI, there does seem to be some aperture fluctuation at times, but not much, and not all the time.

It would seem that there is some type of electro-mechanical defect that is causing this.  But given the hassle of getting it down (and then remounted - ceiling mount), shipping it, being without it for a 2-3 weeks, etc., I wanted to post here and see if there might be something else going on.

Is there possibly some setting that could be causing this, some type of conflict?  Anything else I can try to get it working again?

Any ideas appreciated.  I figure I'll have to just suck it up and send it in, but thought I'd pick your collective brains to see if this could somehow be avoided.

Thanks.

Don

I do not know of anything, other than sending in for repair. :(
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:56:41 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

No other replies, so the not unexpected answer is as you said - send it in.

Oh well....

Don

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

No other replies, so the not unexpected answer is as you said - send it in.

Oh well....

Don

Unfortunately that is really your only option. Good that it has a nice long warranty, so that you can pick a time that works for you.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Are there any specific recommendations as far as shipping:

FedEx?
UPS?
Other?

Any special precautions to take?
I guess add Insurance to cover the full replacement cost of the unit?

I do have the original JVC boxing, and the double-boxing it was shipped in.  I'm thinking between the size, weight, and insurance, this could be pricey!

Any tricks to cost savings on this kind of shipment?

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
Whichever method is cheapest for you. We use UPS. Yes, double box and insure. Also do you still have the lens cap? Install that before shipping. You do not need to send any of the misc items, like power cord or remote. Take pictures of your projector, right before packaging up. That way you have picture of projector condition, before sending in. I doubt you will need them, but better to have and not need that to need and not have. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »
Also, from what I heard, you need to request to JVC that you want the original shipping box and packing back (assuming you want it back).  I've heard they will mail it back in something else if you don't.  Perhaps also put a note in the box.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:58:30 PM by DavidHir »

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
Great suggestion, Mike, about taking the photos before sending.  I do have the lens cap, so will definitely put that on as well.

Do you have a ballpark range of how much shipping usually runs?

David - also a good suggestion.  FWIW, when I spoke with Mendtronix about this, I did raise the question of wanting them to use the same boxes to return it, as I had also read of some potential issues there.  They said that as long as the boxes are in good condition, they would naturally use them.  But if they weren't in good shape, they wouldn't.  Guess that makes sense, but I hope they still double-box, in any case.

But regardless, I will put a note in with the Projector addressing these, and perhaps mark the boxes themselves.

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
Also, from what I heard, you need to request to JVC that you want the original shipping box and packing back (assuming you want it back).  I've heard they will mail it back in something else if you don't.  Perhaps also put a note in the box.

Correct, Whenever sending anything to Mendtronix, you should do this. Thanks for the reminder Dave. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSMike

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
Great suggestion, Mike, about taking the photos before sending.  I do have the lens cap, so will definitely put that on as well.

Do you have a ballpark range of how much shipping usually runs?

David - also a good suggestion.  FWIW, when I spoke with Mendtronix about this, I did raise the question of wanting them to use the same boxes to return it, as I had also read of some potential issues there.  They said that as long as the boxes are in good condition, they would naturally use them.  But if they weren't in good shape, they wouldn't.  Guess that makes sense, but I hope they still double-box, in any case.

But regardless, I will put a note in with the Projector addressing these, and perhaps mark the boxes themselves.

Hopefully the fix is minor, but without know for sure what is needed, I really can't say. Not trying to be pessimistic, but do not want to tell you something that could be wrong.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
I just meant how much would the shipping be typically. Not the repair, which will be under warrantee.

Thanks.

AVSMike

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
I just meant how much would the shipping be typically. Not the repair, which will be under warrantee.

Thanks.

Shipping to the nearest repair center, $50 to $60.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:54 AM »
Gotcha - thanks.  I was worried it would be double or triple that!

Will probably send it out in early/mid February, before a bird photography/beach trip to Florida.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal