AVS Discussions
  Go Down

V6 installation on existing curved frame

AVSMike

V6 installation on existing curved frame
« on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
I have a powered masking system and decided it was time to install V6 fabric in my frame. I had to pull my masking system to get to my frame. Only place I can fit the grip rails so that they do not interfere with the powered masking is on the sides of the frame. Picture below shows the the everything removed down to the frame. I am mechanically fastening the grip rail with #6 x 1/2" screws, fastened every 3". I will also place a bead of glue at the back edge of the grip rail. The picture below of the frame has the grip rail fastened on the top and the left side.

After installing the first piece of grip rail on top of the frame, I took a 24" long sample piece of V6 to test installation in the grip rail. I used a pizza wheel cutter, to tuck the fabric into the grip rail. The V6 fabric went in smoothly and quickly. I was able to put a lot of downward tension on the fabric and there was no slippage. So far it looks like this is a good simple system for installation. Will take so more pictures as I go along.

Added picture of grip rail installed.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:33:50 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

Re: V6 installation on existing curved frame
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
Got the grip rails fastened last night. Used #6 x 1/2" screws. Secured grip rail every 3". I then used a bed of Loctite Ultimate Grab on the back side of the grip rail. This morning, I installed the V6 in the grip rail. Grip rails worked very well. I installed the screen by myself. Had planned to get my son to help me, but did not want to wait for him to get up. Was very easy to do. Getting fabric installed and tensioned only took around 30 minutes.

The roll of fabric standing on one end, reached a few inches above the top of my screen. So I stood the roll on end and unrolled a couple feet of fabric. I then fastened the top left corner. I unroll more fabric and secured top middle. I then unrolled the rest and secured top right corner. I used a round pizza cutter to tuck the fabric into the grip rail. I then installed the fabric on both ends, pulling a little tension as I rolled into the grip rail. I did the third points at the top and then I fastened the bottom. Last I did the top. Note, I always applied a little tension out in front of the roller to keep the fabric nice and tight. Note I did this with my frame hanging on the wall. That way gravity, helped to tension the fabric. Nice smooth blemish free surface. Can't wait to get masking system back on. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:40:01 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Everything completed. :)
Watched a few clips from movies. Great image. Sharpness like you get from a solid screen with absolutely no shimmer or sparkle. Very glad I finally got around to doing this.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:24:36 PM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
That's a sweet looking screen wall, Mike.  8)

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
That's a sweet looking screen wall, Mike.  8)

Thank you. What you can't see in that picture is the lower half of my LCR's. The 18's are in separate boxes right under the top half of the LCR's. Being in separate boxes allows me to time align them for acoustic centers and more manageable on the install. Cloth grills cover them, so you see nothing but screen image when looking at the screen. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the process and the completed screen!  :)
Hard to see in the first picture, but the wings of the baffle wall are angled.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:50:46 AM by AVSMike »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Tom Bley

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
Ah yes, Acoustic Elegance makes very nice woofers.  It's the speaker with a nipple.  :P ;D

That wall must have some nice slam! :)

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
Yes, really happy with my audio. No longer interested in upgrading. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 05:38:33 AM »
Looks great Mike, good job man!! :) Did you do a rerun on the EQ for your system as well? I´d presume the improved AT might call for less correction - especially in the high frequencies, so it might sound a bit "sharp" prior to doing a new run at the EQ.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:09:11 PM by AVSMike »
Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!

Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
Nice job Mike !  :)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
Looks great Mike, good job man!! :) Did you do a rerun on the EQ for your system as well? I´d presume the improved AT might call for less correction - especially in the high frequencies, so it might sound a bit "sharp" prior to doing a new run at the EQ.

Yes I did, but it was just a quick one for the main listening position. I also installed a new prepro and fiber optic cable.  This allowed me to move my Oppo and Roku to my rack. Which in turn caused me to have to reprogram my universal remote. Now that I have all of that done, I will rerun the EQ and massage it using the Audyssey APP.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Tom Bley

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
Looks great,  Mike!   8) :-*

AVSMike

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
Yeah, I am really pleased with it. With the grip rail, the tension is very even. With some tensioning systems, you can see a vertical line, if you have light sweeping across the screen, due to tension being applied at points, rather than 100% along each edge. The lines I am talking about have more to do with the look of the screen with the projector turned off, because these lines do not show up with a projected image. Only seen with light washing across the screen from the side. This screen looks perfect. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
Looks good.

I know you were telling me about this on the phone the other day, as I was pulling in to an appointment. Getting a visual really brings it together. It is interesting that you were trying to decide whether to pull the Seymour down and replace it with V6. It looks like it was a worthwhile upgrade.

AVSMike

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Looks good.

I know you were telling me about this on the phone the other day, as I was pulling in to an appointment. Getting a visual really brings it together. It is interesting that you were trying to decide whether to pull the Seymour down and replace it with V6. It looks like it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I always planned to switch, I just kept putting it off, because of having to remove the masking system to do the work. Also you asked about multi quote. It is available. Just quote the post, then scroll down to topic summary and select insert quote. You can add as many as you want. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal