AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS4500 (native 4K laser projector)

Re: JVC RS4500 (native 4K laser projector)
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »

All previous models could only switch to Gamma D when an HDR signal was present. The RS4500 will instead switch to a full HDR preset which can include BT2020, Gamma D, specific laser/lens settings and a variety of other picture parameters. This is what we have been looking for. Once set up, this should be our plug and play mode for 4K.

I will be interesting to see if JVC offers any form of dynamic/automatic tone mapping to handle HDR encodes that are using different peak highlight levels (i.e., for the HDR peaks).  Early reports are that Blu-ray UHD discs have been master using anywhere from 800 nits up to 4000 nit as their reference for the peak highlights.  While the exiting JVC projectors, such as my RS600, only have a single HDR gamma preset (i.e., Gamma D) with 3 user adjustments for tone mapping, it should be possible to read the metadata on the disc to determine what tone mapping would be best to apply.  This is perhaps what Sony is doing with some of their new UHD displays. 
Ron Jones
Reviewer/Writer/Blogger for Projector Reviews
http://www.projectorreviews.com

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
I didn't know that, I was told in the past that the LED projectors did not have the option of having the light source repaired by the factory...that changes my opinion 100%. Are all LED projectors the same (major manufacturers), or is it just the high end models? I run 2000-5000 hours per year on my projectors currently...if the light engines are replaceable then it makes this a possiblity for my next projector as long as the lumens are enough. :)

This isn't an LED projector - it uses a laser. Just FYI. Perhaps the laser modules are easier to replace than LED's.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PRESENT/images/laser_block.jpg
JVC RS4500 (native 4K laser projector)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
Just spoke with JVC regarding the RS4500. Looks like around 4 weeks delay. They are working on the firmware and want to make sure the projector performs the best that it can.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
Just spoke with JVC regarding the RS4500. Looks like around 4 weeks delay. They are working on the firmware and want to make sure the projector performs the best that it can.

Honestly, that's what they should do if needed. No one would want a projector that has half it's useful features either completely disabled or not working properly anyways.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »
I'm hearing January for shipments at the earliest. And yes, the laser module is replaceable through JVC.

I had a chance to play with one last Friday for a little while. JVC has a new image mode called HDR that significantly simplifies the HDR setup of the projector. It was nearly spot on in default settings with the test patterns I looked at. They also have two new color profiles, one for 2020 using the filter like the existing models and one called HDR that goes as wide as possible WITHOUT the filter to try and preserve light output if the end user would rather go that route.

No word on dynamic mapping to HDR metadata but the projector is HDMI 2.0b compliant so it should support the feature if they want to go that direction.
Technical Editor/Writer
Sound and Vision

Pro Calibration, Consulting and Education: www.deepdiveav.com

AVSMike

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 12:01:23 AM »
Honestly, that's what they should do if needed. No one would want a projector that has half it's useful features either completely disabled or not working properly anyways.

Not about features not working.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
I will be curious of the inevitable A/B comparisons of the RS500/600 vs the RS4500 with native 4K content.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
I will be curious of the inevitable A/B comparisons of the RS500/600 vs the RS4500 with native 4K content.

That will be interesting.

AVSMike

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:33:17 AM »
JVC has selected Kris Deering as a reviewer of the RS4500. Congratulations Kris and looking forward to your review. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
JVC has selected Kris Deering as a reviewer of the RS4500. Congratulations Kris and looking forward to your review. :)

Hopefully soon !

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »

I think the law of diminishing returns will raise its head, the RS600 is so good, that despite what laser, true 4K, and a top of the line lens brings in, that most will not find the improvements enough to pony up the difference in cost. I'm sure the increased lumens, finer resolution of both the 4K chips and better lens will be obvious but I don't think it would be substantial enough except on the largest of home theater screens to make it a slam dunk over the RS600, and at that price.  Perhaps lasers will be able to truly allow HDR to 'shine' through over incandescent sources which would certainly give it another big plus over all other 4K/eshift lamp based pjs.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
I think the law of diminishing returns will raise its head, the RS600 is so good, that despite what laser, true 4K, and a top of the line lens brings in, that most will not find the improvements enough to pony up the difference in cost. I'm sure the increased lumens, finer resolution of both the 4K chips and better lens will be obvious but I don't think it would be substantial enough except on the largest of home theater screens to make it a slam dunk over the RS600, and at that price.  Perhaps lasers will be able to truly allow HDR to 'shine' through over incandescent sources which would certainly give it another big plus over all other 4K/eshift lamp based pjs.

With anything that's cutting edge, it will cost disproportionately more.  I think it will look outstanding on a smaller screen, where one can crank the iris way down and get OLED like contrast. Much as I love my RS600, this is in another league. But, you need $35K !! 

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
........can crank the iris way down and get OLED like contrast. Much as I love my RS600, this is in another league. But, you need $35K !!

:'(

AVSMike

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
The image from the RS4500 was that good and everybody will want it. Now being able to afford it is another matter.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »

As others are saying, I expect it to be a notable jump in PQ over the RS500/600 at any screen size.  The lens will be superior, new panels, light engine - and some say laser gives a more 'stable' looking image.  I think the HDR will be improved too.  But yeah, if we're talking bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the current RS (especially RS400 and 500 - 600 virtually same performance as 500). 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal