AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Video Gurus: Advise re New Projector, $50k or Less

Video Gurus: Advise re New Projector, $50k or Less
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
I am used to my 2008 Sim2 C3X 1080p projector, Stewart Cinemascope 2.35 Studiotech 1.3 gain 128.5" wide screen, with ISCO III anamorphic lens and cineslide.

Given the size of my room and positioning of my five Aerial 7ts and two JL Audio f212 subwoofers on stands (for perfect positioning for room modes), I figure that I can’t go to a much larger/wider screen than 11’ wide, whether 16:9 or 2:35 – if 16:9, going wider than 11’ would extend to the ceiling and as I have 12’ ceiling too much head/neck strain. Odds are I’ll keep my current Stewart screen although I may change the fabric (perhaps to Stewart Snomatte 1.0 gain). I do not have or need an acoustically transparent screen.

With a new 3 year old hip, and don't want to change bulbs anymore - laser please!

I understand that to get the benefits of HDR you need plenty of brightness footlamberts coming off the screen! And I would like that! Another advantage of keeping my current screen although may consider changing the screen material.
From what I saw at CEDIA and otherwise, I think I am probably looking at the JVC rs4500 D-ILA (3000 lumens) or Barco Balder Cinemascope (3500 lumens). Spec sheets show JVC as covering 80% of Rec.2020 color space, and full Rec. 709 (HD), whereas Barco only shows full Rec. 709. Both looked excellent to me at CEDIA. I understand some AVSers went to the new Sony $25k laser v other projectors demo and that the Sony acquitted itself equally including brightness vs the JVC laser – but the attorney in me suspects something was done to hotrod the Sony vs perhaps a poorer “B” stock type JVC to arrive at that outcome. As the new Sony laser is rated 2000 lumens and the JVC laser 3000 lumens.

I saw the Sony $60 laser at Mani’s last night – very, very nice – 190” 2:35 .8 gain acoustically transparent screen, with ISCO lens so Mani is lighting up a 16:9 screen 12’ wide w/o use of the ISCO lens. My “old” Sim2 is rated at 2500 lumens.

My new projector has to hit me with as good or better a "bounce" on all sources so I won't miss the Sim2 C3X 1080p projector.

I am not in the market for even a used cinema DLP projector way too big, as much be ceiling mounted in my room. I understand that the Barcos are only "faux" 4k DLP Texas Instruments chips though they look awful good!

I understand Wolf Cinema has "upgraded" the JVC laser at $50k msrp. How does it compare to the JVC itself?
Comments please!

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Video Gurus: Advise re New Projector, $50k or Less
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
" I understand Wolf Cinema has "upgraded" the JVC laser at $50k msrp. How does it compare to the JVC itself? "

The only thing I know for sure is the Wolf seems quieter, weights more ( 150 lbs. vs 85 ) and costs $15K more than MSRP. No doubt it's quieter due to 65 lbs. of extra case around it.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
Steve,

I went from your projector to the JVC RS4500 and am very happy.  I also have the same size  (11' wide scope screen) and type (ST130) screen as you.  I also have the same ISCO lens and cineslide.

The Sim2 is a great projector (ANSI contrast is killer and the lens is very sharp), but the JVC bests it in many other respects and beats it overall.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you want more details.

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, ST130 138" scope screen,
Panasonic DMP-UB900 & Plex Media Server
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Steve,

I went from your projector to the JVC RS4500 and am very happy.  I also have the same size  (11' wide scope screen) and type (ST130) screen as you.  I also have the same ISCO lens and cineslide.

The Sim2 is a great projector (ANSI contrast is killer and the lens is very sharp), but the JVC bests it in many other respects and beats it overall.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you want more details.

Interesting how many of us have gone from Sim2 projectors to the RS4500 ! Thanks for chiming in. Steve has talked to me enough on the phone about my RS4500, i don't have much to add. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal