AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Garrett Home theater

AVSMike

Re: Garrett Home theater
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
Mike, how tall is the ceiling in that room ?and is it same height ceiling as in your dedicated theater room? I was just wondering if it made big difference on how tall the ceiling was and effect of atmos speakers whether the taller ceiling was better/worse or same for expanding the sound field and the atmos effects how they compare.
I like those windows in your familyroom, you must have a pretty bright room during the daytime .

17' high ceiling in family room. 8' ceiling in dedicated room. Even though the dedicated room is much smaller, the sound is much better. But the dedicated room is treated and the family room is not. That window you see is 12.5' high. Two of them on theater end. On library end, I have 8' x 16' of glass, two 2' x 6' windows and french doors with 15 lites. Along with a transom above the french doors. In other words, this room is nearly hopeless for front projection during the day. So projector is only used at night time in this room.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 04:46:32 PM »
nice. i wish i had easier access to above my ceiling in my family room. It was a garage converted into family room and last time someone crawled across the joist my drywall cracked and unfortunately the access point is at opposite end of room from upstairs crawlspace. so ive been limited to 5.1 for now untill i fig out way run wires without too much damage. ya i imagine all those windows probably dont help with the sound in room either.  speakers look nice though - enjoy

AVSMike

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »
nice. i wish i had easier access to above my ceiling in my family room. It was a garage converted into family room and last time someone crawled across the joist my drywall cracked and unfortunately the access point is at opposite end of room from upstairs crawlspace. so ive been limited to 5.1 for now untill i fig out way run wires without too much damage. ya i imagine all those windows probably dont help with the sound in room either.  speakers look nice though - enjoy

It really makes me appreciate my dedicated room. Wife and I watched Clock in the Wall last night. Sound and picture in dedicated room was very good.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
My screen is down about 22" from the ceiling so ceiling reflections off my flat black ceiling have never really been an issue, but have started covering the front part with velvet panels. Used some 3/4" x 1" pine I ripped down to make some frames. Then stapled Triple Black Velvet to the frames and screwed to the trusses above the drywall. Have one more to build that will fit around my wife's short throw and the lighting. My wife's short throw is my biggest compromise in my theater. She uses it for yoga. The other items you can see in the picture are my atmos speakers and a sound absorption panel. Turned the three 65 watt floods up to 100% to take the picture. 

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSMike

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2019, 09:52:54 AM »
I while back, I built the last velvet panel for the ceiling. I never posted the picture. Compare to the picture in the post above and you will see the difference. :)

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »
Nice !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
I have been thinking about ways to increase my throw in my room, since I am at a shorter throw than I should be with my A-lens. So I bought a cheap mirror for testing proof of concept in my room. I would need to buy a first surface mirror, but by testing, I can figure out exactly what size mirror I need to buy. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:44:00 AM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
I have been thinking about ways to increase my throw in my room, since I am at a shorter throw than I should be with my A-lens. So I bought a cheap mirror for testing proof of concept in my room.
Can't cut a hole in the back wall ? :-X

AVSMike

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 10:51:50 AM »
Can't cut a hole in the back wall ? :-X
I could, but a super amount of trouble, since it is exterior wall with brick on the house. Would not look very good, since it would have to be just a bump out for the projector. My theater room is on the second floor. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:54:26 AM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSMike

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
Also found my RS3000 is a lot quieter, now that it is away from the wall. I thought the projector was in low lamp and yet it was in high.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
Also found my RS3000 is a lot quieter, now that it is away from the wall. I thought the projector was in low lamp and yet it was in high.

Which goes to show it can be the acoustics of the surfaces surrounding the projector ( and how close the projector is to those surfaces ) that cause a projector to sound loud for one person, and not another ! 

AVSMike

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »
Yep. The back of my projector is now firing toward an absorption panel.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSMike

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
The test mirror worked very well, so I have purchased a first surface mirror for my room. The mirror arrived yesterday, so I switched the mirrors out. I placed little stick on rubber bumpers on the shelf the mirror sits in, to lock it in place, yet I can easily remove for cleaning if needed. Though the plan is to just blow off any accumulated dust. With the longer throw, I am now able to consider other options for this room, like a flat masking screen and or a DCR lens.

A-lens is still in place, but since it is on a slide, it is out of the way. Currently just using lens memory, now that throw is longer.

Added
Pictures sure are deceiving. The speakers are 3" from the ceiling and the back of the projector is about 9" from the ceiling. Projector is about 2'-4" closer to me in this picture.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:42:14 AM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
That is clever - good way to overcome a short throw. 

AVSMike

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
Rather than replace my projector in my family room right now, I have decided to put in a 75" TV and add a DCR lens to my dedicated room. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:11:15 PM by AVSMike »

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal