AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Bass traps?

bmoney

Re: Bass traps?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
thanks I know what room modes are.

and you proved my point...traps do NOT help with the most troublesome frequencies
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Not true, they actually do.  Just to what degree...that's the question, and that is completely room dependent.
Sound Advice
skbyrne@sbcglobal.net
HAA Level III Certified
CEDIA Certified EST II
THX Certified

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
Here is a fairly quick way to see if bass traps will help in your situation... Go to a local store and pick up some bundles of fiberglass insulation. Once you get them home, put the complete unopened bundle in your corners...even along your rear wall and then test it out. I bet you will hear a difference...don't forget to rerun your room tune software (after saving your original tune). If you are not happy with the results you can just return the unopened bundles. I know it is a bit of a hassle to do it this way, but it will def let you know if in your situation it will do what you want. Looking forward to hearing your results. :)
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

bmoney

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
Here is a fairly quick way to see if bass traps will help in your situation... Go to a local store and pick up some bundles of fiberglass insulation. Once you get them home, put the complete unopened bundle in your corners...even along your rear wall and then test it out. I bet you will hear a difference...don't forget to rerun your room tune software (after saving your original tune). If you are not happy with the results you can just return the unopened bundles. I know it is a bit of a hassle to do it this way, but it will def let you know if in your situation it will do what you want. Looking forward to hearing your results. :)

love it !  I may try it out...now if it DOES work...would I just enclose the bundle behind a AT panels?
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 01:06:27 PM »
love it !  I may try it out...now if it DOES work...would I just enclose the bundle behind a AT panels?
I have 3 bundles of Roxul sitting in between my front 3 channels behind my AT screen in addition to my 3" Roxul wall. I stumbled upon the using bundles when I was reading up on bass traps. From what I read the plastic will not effect the bass, but also will not allow certain high frequencies to be absorbed so it is a win win situation in a lot of scenarios. On our rear wall I was worried about too much damping so I covered the whole rear bass trap in a thin black rubber sheeting, and then made GOM false wall fabric panels to cover it all up.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »
thats not the question :) its i heard that they need to be at least 4-6' thick to hit the below 100Hz that is the most troublesmoe
I'm in the process of getting bass traps from GIK, so I'll let you know the results. While I am getting two corner Tri Traps, and two 7.3125” thick Monster bass traps, most of them will be 244 Bass Traps which are 5.25" thick - 

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/

I also have some ceiling diffusors coming too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
I'm in the process of getting bass traps from GIK, so I'll let you know the results. While I am getting two corner Tri Traps, and two 7.3125” thick Monster bass traps, most of them will be 244 Bass Traps which are 5.25" thick -

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/

I also have some ceiling diffusors coming too.
I think their main US warehouse is about 60 miles from me. I've heard a lot of great things about their products.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »
I think their main US warehouse is about 60 miles from me. I've heard a lot of great things about their products.
I got three of their acoustic panels a few years ago and hung them at the main reflection points. Regular guests to my theater sat down to watch a movie, and after a few minutes, one of them turned to me and said " did you get new speakers " ?  :o  They had no idea I'd hung those panels - I had to point them out later. I found that extremely interesting. Should be even more interesting installing 15 bass traps - the ones in front behind the red velvet curtains have range limiters, the ones in back will have scatter plates. And a 16' x 2' row ( two rows  of 8' x 2' really - one on each side of the ceiling peak ) of diffusion panels on the ceiling right where I can see speakers using the mirror trick.

It's going to be a serious acoustic makeover !

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »
Here is a great article regarding bass traps - https://ethanwiner.com/basstrap_myths.htm

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal