AVS Discussions

Movie and TV Discussion => Blu-rays => Topic started by: NBPk402 on November 07, 2016, 12:14:19 PM

Title: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 07, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
I have a few movies that are favorites to demo my setup, and I am sure many of you also have favorites too.

What are your favorite movies for Demoing or just sheer pleasure of watching?

Mine are (in no particular order):
1: Avatar...I know a lot of people don't like it, but this movie just pulls me in to it's world, and keeps my attention for the whole movie.

2: Pitch Perfect... My wife and I usually don't go for musical movies, but this one is our favorite. My wife and I have watched this movie at least 50 times! We love the characters in the movie, and all the music, so it is easy to watch over and over. In the past my wife and I have watched it in our Living Room, and then when it was over I have watched it again in the HT (in the HT it is like watching the movie for the first time again). I have become so accustomed to the sound that I use it for a reference after a room tune. When I was modding my room (sometimes daily), and running the room tune software... I could immediately tell if something was a good change or not.

3: Edge of Tomorrow...this one has the deepest bass I have ever heard on my setup. I highly recommend you be very careful with the levels or you might blow your sub on the opening intro.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: AVSCraig on November 09, 2016, 12:09:53 PM
I have a few movies that are favorites to demo my setup, and I am sure many of you also have favorites too.

What are your favorite movies for Demoing or just sheer pleasure of watching?

Mine are (in no particular order):
1: Avatar...I know a lot of people don't like it, but this movie just pulls me in to it's world, and keeps my attention for the whole movie.

2: Pitch Perfect... My wife and I usually don't go for musical movies, but this one is our favorite. My wife and I have watched this movie at least 50 times! We love the characters in the movie, and all the music, so it is easy to watch over and over. In the past my wife and I have watched it in our Living Room, and then when it was over I have watched it again in the HT (in the HT it is like watching the movie for the first time again). I have become so accustomed to the sound that I use it for a reference after a room tune. When I was modding my room (sometimes daily), and running the room tune software... I could immediately tell if something was a good change or not.

3: Edge of Tomorrow...this one has the deepest bass I have ever heard on my setup. I highly recommend you be very careful with the levels or you might blow your sub on the opening intro.

The same goes for the first few minutes of " The Dark Knight Rises " - I had it set to reference ( 80 ) and it was so loud ( before I realized it ) I could smell my PC 12 + subs cooking ! That is one loud movie - mixed way louder than the previous " The Dark Knight " was.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 09, 2016, 12:37:11 PM
The same goes for the first few minutes of " The Dark Knight Rises " - I had it set to reference ( 80 ) and it was so loud ( before I realized it ) I could smell my PC 12 + subs cooking ! That is one loud movie - mixed way louder than the previous " The Dark Knight " was.
I will have to revisit "The Dark Night Rises" to check out the levels on my setup.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: kokishin on November 11, 2016, 03:05:33 PM
Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition with the Atmos soundtrack.

FWIW: The 747 Takeoff, an audio only track on the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sep 2015) tends to amaze folks especially when played loudly.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: AVSCraig on November 11, 2016, 03:52:17 PM
Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition with the Atmos soundtrack.

FWIW: The 747 Takeoff, an audio only track on the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sep 2015) tends to amaze folks especially when played loudly.

Gravity is a great example of using LFE / bass to raise the level of apprehension and tension in a movie. I've come to appreciate that film much more, since getting my RS600 projector and twin SVS PC12+ subs !!
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 11, 2016, 06:12:04 PM
I need to watch Gravity again since I now have subs.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: laugsbach on November 12, 2016, 09:03:25 AM
Gravity is a great example of using LFE / bass to raise the level of apprehension and tension in a movie. I've come to appreciate that film much more, since getting my RS600 projector and twin SVS PC12+ subs !!

I completely agree...The first Hunger Games does the same.

My current demo is the Atmos track from Everest...in no particular order here are some more:

Tron: Legacy
Oblivion
Star Trek (2009)
Inception
Interstellar
Incredible Hulk
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian

Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 12, 2016, 11:57:41 AM
I completely agree...The first Hunger Games does the same.

My current demo is the Atmos track from Everest...in no particular order here are some more:

Tron: Legacy
Oblivion
Star Trek (2009)
Inception
Interstellar
Incredible Hulk
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian

Thanks for reminding me of more movies which are great for Demos.  :)
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 14, 2016, 02:25:51 PM
I have a few titles i uses as reference when testing and tweaking projectors..

Lawrance of Arabia.. True piece of art shot in 70mm

Apocalyoto. Very high quality, and natural.

Baraka/ Samsara. Breathtaking scenery from around the world shot in 70mm very high quality.

Operation Valkyrie, great quality, and both very bright and very dark scenes.. Some that is a challenge for most displays to produce right.

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2.. Last one.. Reference low level scenes.. Absolutely breathtaking if you have true infinite on off contrast..

Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: ShadeRF on November 14, 2016, 03:36:38 PM
The opening sequence of Prometheus has become sort of my personal demo. Every time I make some sort of system change this is the first scene I always check out, especially when making sound adjustments. Its just a phenomenal sequence IMO.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 06:05:13 PM
I have a few titles i uses as reference when testing and tweaking projectors..

Lawrance of Arabia.. True piece of art shot in 70mm

Apocalyoto. Very high quality, and natural.

Baraka/ Samsara. Breathtaking scenery from around the world shot in 70mm very high quality.

Operation Valkyrie, great quality, and both very bright and very dark scenes.. Some that is a challenge for most displays to produce right.

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2.. Last one.. Reference low level scenes.. Absolutely breathtaking if you have true infinite on off contrast..
I saw your pics in the other thread, and if I had not known they were on a CRT, I would have never known it! The pictures are stunning!
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 14, 2016, 07:00:30 PM
I saw your pics in the other thread, and if I had not known they were on a CRT, I would have never known it! The pictures are stunning!
Cant post full size screenshots, so they are resized, and im using a old 10mp CCD sensor camera, so there is still a bit to desire in regard to resolution.

The first one is from Apocalypto, the 2nd from Samsara.

Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 07:06:01 PM
Cant post full size screenshots, so they are resized, and im using a old 10mp CCD sensor camera, so there is still a bit to desire in regard to resolution.

The first one is from Apocalypto, the 2nd from Samsara.
What I meant was that the images looked so great I would never have thought that they were 1080P CRT images, because they looked better than any image I have ever seen on a projector. Now I know that a CRT can produce images that are still better than 4K.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 14, 2016, 08:16:47 PM
What I meant was that the images looked so great I would never have thought that they were 1080P CRT images, because they looked better than any image I have ever seen on a projector. Now I know that a CRT can produce images that are still better than 4K.
For me thats true.. But its not something popular to say in public, specially these days as 4K is the thing everybody want, and everybody wants to sell, even that CRT is not produced anymore.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: NBPk402 on November 14, 2016, 08:21:14 PM
For me thats true.. But its not something popular to say in public, specially these days as 4K is the thing everybody want, and everybody wants to sell, even that CRT is not produced anymore.
I understand the journey to nirvana with the CRT is not one for the faint at heart or without a fat wallet, but nevertheless I am in awe the performance that you can still get out of the old CRT. Congratulations on your results!
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 16, 2016, 04:22:57 AM
Here is a scene from Lawrance of Arabia.. There is something magic about the way they filmed that movie.

 
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: AVSCraig on November 16, 2016, 11:04:30 AM
Here is a scene from Lawrance of Arabia.. There is something magic about the way they filmed that movie.

That's a movie that needs to be released on 4K UHD. Wake up Sony Pictures.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 23, 2016, 12:55:57 PM
That's a movie that needs to be released on 4K UHD. Wake up Sony Pictures.

It sure is a movie that have the quality to be worthy of the higher resolution..

I think Ben Hur is on the same page.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: AVSEdo on November 23, 2016, 01:19:20 PM
My favorite movie to demo would have to be Lucy
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 23, 2016, 02:07:34 PM
I agre on LUCY, its a great demo movie.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: AVSCraig on November 29, 2016, 04:34:41 PM
It sure is a movie that have the quality to be worthy of the higher resolution..

I think Ben Hur is on the same page.

Agreed, but I must say that the restored version of Ben Hur currently on Blu Ray looks amazing.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: stridsvognen on November 29, 2016, 05:18:58 PM
Agreed, but I must say that the restored version of Ben Hur currently on Blu Ray looks amazing.

Just put it on to check again.. The resolution was not very high, but colors, and the way the light works is kind of magic, think its more dynamic than we are used to with new movies.
Title: Re: Favorite Movies to demo your system
Post by: bmoney on November 30, 2016, 10:02:18 AM
My favorite movie to demo would have to be Lucy

just wish the movie was better...3/4 of it is great then the last act is not so good

watched BFG last night...now that is demo worthy all around as well
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal