AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Samsung UBD‑K8500 4K Blu Ray Player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Samsung UBD‑K8500 4K Blu Ray Player
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »
Like many, I got one of these Samsung UBD‑K8500 4K players, since it was the only game in town. Who else has one? It works, although the build quality leaves much to be desired.  With an HD Fury Integral setting for SDR BT2020 with my JVC RS600 ( Integral set to custom mode 10 - 4K60 420 12bits BT2020 all sound ), and the Samsung set at user setting, Contrast +1 Brightness +1, 4K Blu Rays look pretty damn good.

Current 4K settings on my JVC RS600 ( NO HDR ) –
Color profile –   BT. 2020
Color Temperature –   6500K
Gamma – Custom –   2.4
Picture Tone –   6 ( or up to 8 )  Dark Level –    4 ( or 5 )
Contrast 5   Brightness  7
MPC – default ( 5 )
Manual Iris -7 ( minus 7 )   Auto Iris 1  Low Lamp
Input Level Auto   Color Space Auto

Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: Samsung UBD‑K8500 4K Blu Ray Player
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
I finally got around to watching some 4K on YouTube on the Samsung last night - not too shabby looking !

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »
These machines are outselling the other available brands by a wide margins -- and getting good reviews (except for the cheap feel).  The price is plummeting (for this and the Philips) and I suspect that both have something new in the wings.  But we all know the OPPO is gathering huge interest at a decent pricepoint. 

So will this Samsung be selling below $100 right after Christmas?
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
good question....it has served its purpose for me since its release...I have no complaints
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

claw

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
For UHD Blu Ray playback I will replace the K8500 with an Oppo.   But I will keep the K8500 for its streaming Apps.

It properly outputs 4K24 or 4K60 depending on how the content is mastered.   So 4K24 for most of Amazon and Netflix, with a few 4K60 titles.  And both 4K24 and 4K60 for YouTube as well.   I don't think there is another media player that can do this today.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:05 PM »
These machines are outselling the other available brands by a wide margins -- and getting good reviews (except for the cheap feel).  The price is plummeting (for this and the Philips) and I suspect that both have something new in the wings.  But we all know the OPPO is gathering huge interest at a decent pricepoint. 

So will this Samsung be selling below $100 right after Christmas?

I doubt it. If you are using a projector ( as opposed to an HDTV ), i certainly wouldn't recommend the Samsung. Only the Panasonic or the new Oppo. It's only popular because it was ( for many months ) the only 4K Blu Ray player available. The minute the Oppo is out, expect these to be for sale cheap, all over Ebay !

richlife69

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
Ok, I think you don't agree that the price will go below $100, but you do apparently expect a big price drop from the current $200.  Right? 

Anyway, we'll see.  I noticed there seem to be projector issues -- but those with projectors are still the minority and likely will always be.  I would go for a projector, but cost (which is falling rapidly also) and space to use it are issues. 

For my current Vizio (to be replaced) any 4K BR player will probably be an issue.  It's easy to say go to OPPO but it's also easy to rein in costs until the OPPO settles.  With this Vizio, it's all a crap shoot.
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)

Scars

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi Everyone!  First post on this forum  :)

Unfortunately, this is me checking in as an owner of the UBD-K8500.  I'm having a strange problem with my player when playing 4K UHD discs.  I'm hoping the collective expertise here can help me figure it out.

I'll be watching a 4K UHD movie, like Batman v Superman on UHD Bluray or Marco Polo on Netflix.  Every once in a great while, seemingly at random, the picture will be a 1/10th of a second of white snow, then go dark, then come back after 2-3 seconds.  There is no hiccup in the audio along the way, only the video.  This happens maybe twice a movie.

I've searched around, but I haven't found anything online to help me understand what the problem may be.  It's only with the UBD-K8500 as the source, since using the native apps on the TV have never done this.  Also, I've watched handful of normal bluray movies and it plays completely normal.

TV: UN65JU6500
AVR: Marantz SR5010
Cables: Monoprice -> http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Is this a known problem with the UBD-K8500?  If so, this just gives me another reason to look forward to my first OPPO :)

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
If seen this myself. It is definably a momentarily drop in the HDCP handshake. Best to use the process of elimination to find out what is going on. Start with the simple stuff. Try a different set of cables. I would then bypass the Av/V receiver to see if that helps. Give this a try and let us know how you make out.

richlife69

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:44:39 PM »
Definitely first thing try new high speed cables.  I just received mine -- 'just in case' purchase.

richlife69

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »
Just to catch up, since I'm fortunate enough to be getting the OPPO, I am returning the Samsung K8500 that I just received.  With the right K8500 settings including Movie Frame (24FPs) "Off" and HDMI Color Format "RGB (Enhanced)", along with the A3060 AVR set to Mode1 for HDMI-4K-Mode, plus using the HDMI5 (4K@60Hz) input and Picture Mode "Computer" on my Vizio M55-C2  and with "Certified High Speed" HDMI cables from Monoprice, I am getting a beautiful UHD "HDR-like" image with the UHD disc of Independence Day.  So I know things work.

On the downside, I have already seen some of the lip sync issues others have reports.  Put the player in Pause for a bit, when restarted the audio and video are out of sync -- but not always...  Just exit the movie to Menu and restart and things sync up again.  (Kinda painful!)  I'm not sure, but this may be related to some of the settings as I didn't see it after the above UHD setup.  But I also have not had time to fully check it out.

Before returning the Samsung (since I will have a wait for the OPPO), I will be doing a complete setup evaluation and will post the results and config info in my personal HT thread in another forum.  If there are no objections, I'll provide a pointer here.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »
Just to catch up, since I'm fortunate enough to be getting the OPPO, I am returning the Samsung K8500 that I just received.  With the right K8500 settings including Movie Frame (24FPs) "Off" and HDMI Color Format "RGB (Enhanced)", along with the A3060 AVR set to Mode1 for HDMI-4K-Mode, plus using the HDMI5 (4K@60Hz) input and Picture Mode "Computer" on my Vizio M55-C2  and with "Certified High Speed" HDMI cables from Monoprice, I am getting a beautiful UHD "HDR-like" image with the UHD disc of Independence Day.  So I know things work.

On the downside, I have already seen some of the lip sync issues others have reports.  Put the player in Pause for a bit, when restarted the audio and video are out of sync -- but not always...  Just exit the movie to Menu and restart and things sync up again.  (Kinda painful!)  I'm not sure, but this may be related to some of the settings as I didn't see it after the above UHD setup.  But I also have not had time to fully check it out.

Before returning the Samsung (since I will have a wait for the OPPO), I will be doing a complete setup evaluation and will post the results and config info in my personal HT thread in another forum.  If there are no objections, I'll provide a pointer here.

I also had that happen. In my case, I think I skipped back via reverse, then back forward to fix it. Certainly a pain. 

richlife69

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 12:05:07 AM »
Thanks for that tip.  I haven't had the issue with anything since, but I've made quite a few tweaks since then. 

Interesting note tho with the Samsung and the Vizio.  It appears that some studios (specifically, Universal with Oblivion handshake at playback time and will not output HDR to the 2015 Vizio M-series (which supposedly does not handle HDR).  Got a specific notice on loading the disc.  Independence Day (Fox) did not do that and the UHD HDR disc had a decidedly greater luminance range and color gamut than the BR disc.  I have Star Trek Beyond yet to watch -- Paramount. 

This will all be moot when I upgrade the TV, but I hope the OPPO will also let me control that better.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:54:29 AM »
Thanks for that tip.  I haven't had the issue with anything since, but I've made quite a few tweaks since then. 

Interesting note tho with the Samsung and the Vizio.  It appears that some studios (specifically, Universal with Oblivion handshake at playback time and will not output HDR to the 2015 Vizio M-series (which supposedly does not handle HDR).  Got a specific notice on loading the disc.  Independence Day (Fox) did not do that and the UHD HDR disc had a decidedly greater luminance range and color gamut than the BR disc.  I have Star Trek Beyond yet to watch -- Paramount. 

This will all be moot when I upgrade the TV, but I hope the OPPO will also let me control that better.

If your TV won't do HDR, you probably aren't getting BT.2020 wide color gamut either. Don't know if your TV can display that or not. If it can, an HD Fury Integral would work in your case.

richlife69

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »
If your TV won't do HDR, you probably aren't getting BT.2020 wide color gamut either. Don't know if your TV can display that or not. If it can, an HD Fury Integral would work in your case.

The problem is that no one (except Vizio who ain't talkin') really knows what it will do.  It is not spec'd for HDR or WCG, but some very knowledge folks in the other forum have tested it and shown that it provides much more than spec.  I can tell that the UHD HDR image is much superior to the standard BR -- more variation in white/black/brilliance (HDR-like?) and much greater color variation (WCG - more or less?).  I'm not claiming anything and, as I said, a new TV (65") purchase will be made within the next few months.  So I'll accept what I have without worrying about the why.  While the Samsung K8500 doesn't help at all with trying to understand what I see, the OPPO will be a completely different beast.  (I said I won't "worry" about it -- that won't stop me from trying to get the best out of it that I can.  ::) )

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal