AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Turntables you have owned or lusted over.

ellisr63

• Living the retired life in San Miguel de Allende
Re: Turntables you have owned or lusted over.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
We now have a new Turntable in our setup... A Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Carbon. It is not in the same league as my old Grodecs were, but it is a nice Turntable for only $500.
Yamaha CX-A5100, 5 JBL 8340As, PS3, XBoxOne, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, Pro-ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable, Darbee Darcet, DIY 14 channel Ice Power amp,Samsung 65" 4k fp

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »
I have recently been edging back into vinyl a bit. After selling my old Denon direct drive TT to a friend a couple of years ago, I knew that I wanted to eventually get a really nice analog front end. After a couple of missed deal opportunities at my local hi end shop I ended up with a VPI Classic (2014 consolidated version). My goal is to be able to make some high quality rips (or "needle drops" I guess they're called). So I also wanted a very good quality cartridge and phono section to go with that. After a good bit of research I decided on a Graham Slee Accession phono stage, which has great reviews and a few features that are potentially nice for this. For the cartridge I recently picked up the new SoundSmith Aida Mk II. (The table came with an Ortofon 2M Bronze and I haven't set up the Aida 2 yet.)

Just need to add the ADC piece - looking like that'll probably be a Tascam DA-3000. 

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 05:42:08 AM »
My current table is a Technics SL-23 that I rebuilt a bit.

I had an older Technics Direct Drive that I bought in the early '80s but always wanted to try a belt drive table.

It really sounds pretty decent but with all things, I have the urge to see if something else will sound better. I am looking at several options. I know that VPI has their entry-level Cliffwood for around $900 but I have seen used Scouts (not sure of the exact model) for around $1000. 

To further complicate matters, I have also seen the Pioneer PLX-1000 for $669 and Schiit Audio's SOL is supposed to retail for $699-ish.

Go Up