AVS Discussions
  Go Down

What kind of Media Player do you use?

Re: What kind of Media Player do you use?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
I just picked up another Kodi box. I already had one of these, and i liked that it ran cool, had optical input, WIFI, and LAN, plus came with a little remote. This one will be replacing my i3NUC in the HT.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHLSKOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just picked up another Kodi box. I already had one of these, and i liked that it ran cool, had optical input, WIFI, and LAN, plus came with a little remote. This one will be replacing my i3NUC in the HT.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHLSKOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What type of media are you feeding this box (i.e. Compressed MKV rips, 1:1 BluRay rips, Bdmv folder structure etc)?  How does it handle higher bitrate files? Any issues with audio passthrough (or are you just using Kodi as the front end)?

ellisr63

• Living the retired life in San Miguel de Allende
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
What type of media are you feeding this box (i.e. Compressed MKV rips, 1:1 BluRay rips, Bdmv folder structure etc)?  How does it handle higher bitrate files? Any issues with audio passthrough (or are you just using Kodi as the front end)?
I have been using MKV rips set to same as source for audio and video. We are also playing SACDs ripped to FLACs, and they are fine. We are using Kodi as the front end...with it set to passthrough. Does this make sense? I haven't had a chance to try it on my movies yet in the HT though...I was using my other one in our MB, and it is passing the audio via optical to my WIFI headphones. I will let you know how it does in the HT too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:53:15 PM by ellisr63 »
Yamaha CX-A5100, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, 4 Klipsch RP160Ms, 2 Yamaha P2500s, PS3, XBoxOne, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, Pro-ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable, Darbee Darcet,Samsung 65" 4k fp

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »
I have been using MKV rips set to same as source for audio and video. We are also playing SACDs ripped to FLACs, and they are fine. We are using Kodi as the front end...with it set to passthrough. Does this make sense? I haven't had a chance to try it on my movies yet in the HT though...I was using my other one in our MB, and it is passing the audio via optical to my WIFI headphones. I will let you know how it does in the HT too.

Yeah, makes sense. Interested to hear how your 1:1 rips with HD audio perform? These are the only limitation in my current setup.

ellisr63

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
Yeah, makes sense. Interested to hear how your 1:1 rips with HD audio perform? These are the only limitation in my current setup.
I had thought that the rips were great, but after switching to the new media player... I have my doubts. Last night I noticed my audio didn't quite sound the same while i was giving a demo to others of my setup, so I played the SACD in my Pioneer BDP-80DF... The results were dramatically different! I am going to have to do some more testing before I am certain. What we heard yesterday was at least 6db louder from the SACD than the rip, and somehow more bass, and clearer vocals. I had always thought a HDD would sound better (and in the past was unable to tell the difference).
Yamaha CX-A5100, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, 4 Klipsch RP160Ms, 2 Yamaha P2500s, PS3, XBoxOne, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, Pro-ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable, Darbee Darcet,Samsung 65" 4k fp

ellisr63

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
I decided to give Plex a try, and i am now a lifetime member. At first I didn't like the interface, but once I got it all setup I love it. I really like the fact that I can pause a movie, and then start it up from where i left off in another room. I have been having some network problems since I started converting my whole LAN over to Cisco, and I believe the problems are all from the Netgear R7000 that was originally giving me a headache. Strange thing is with Kodi I am getting buffering, but with Plex it plays flawlessly, and appears to be at a louder level like my Pioneer DVD is.

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
I was torn between Plex and Emby but ultimately decided on Emby for the interface and awesome support.  You can't really go wrong with Plex though as it's very established.

ellisr63

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
I just came across this one... http://vortexbox.org/about I haven't tried it as Plex is doing fine for me, but someone else might like to try it out.

ellisr63

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
The more I use Plex, the more I like it. It is great to be able to pause and continue in another room. The channels feature is nice too for streaming from the Internet too.

alangouger

• My avatar, me in my bat cave theater.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »
I plan on purchasing one of the HD Dunes. They seam to playback most file types including UHD BD rips. One model downloads trailers for playback. I remember the company name from over a decade ago and was surprised and happy to see they are still going strong.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 07:11:42 AM »
Apple TV 4K.  have 3 of them.  Love em'
JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB900/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos

Harro

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »

AVSMike

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
I use PLEX on Roku to access my server. Works well, allowing access to my ripped movies on all of my displays, computer and iphone.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

claw

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 05:32:45 AM »
I use my pair of Oppo 203 players to play HD and UHD Blu-Ray folder backups over my home network.   The Oppo outputs Dolby Vision to my LG OLED which is not possible with most players from folder backups.

I do realize this capability may disappear some day if pressure is put on Oppo by the studios, but for now it works great.

JVC RS500/LG B7A OLED/Denon X6400H/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Samsung K8500/Appple TV 4K/HDfury Vertex,Linker,Integral

Harro

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »
I use PLEX on Roku to access my server. Works well, allowing access to my ripped movies on all of my displays, computer and iphone.
I do have a Plex server running on my 100TB Nas 24/7. Feeds my shows and Movies while traveling to my phone or tablet, but mostly for my extended family across the US.

I have been Kodi (Xbmc) person for well over 10 years and with the scrappers available, my media shows off nicely. 

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
I have been a long-term PlexPass user of Plex, but I found a better Plex solution.   There is a Plex add-in for Kodi and I run on the nVidia Shield.  It is fantastic.  Kodi v18 and above now has "whitelisting" of certain resolutions that you wish not to be upscaled by Kodi or the nVidia Shield.  Kodi controls nVidia Shield resolution and refresh rate setting to permit the video passthrough to your display device.  

My display is a JVC RS540 (recently acquired), and I want all 1080p and below content to come to the projector at 1080p.  4k content I want to come natively to the projector.  The JVC then does it thing with e-shift to enhance the 1080p and process the 4k to the best of its ability.

To achieve this I set nVidia Shield resolution to "1080p 59.9" and Kodi to use "1080p auto".  When I play a 4k movie, Kodi will change the nVidia Shield resolution to 4k, and return it to 1080p after the playback ends.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Go Up